MTM.51

the reassuring bond

The wind travelled through the gaps of the trees, igniting the bold feelings of yearning and longing within them to move freely beneath the looming sky—to walk amongst the vast greenery, to smile warmly at each passerby, and to converse with other sedentary beings.

It was a feeling that often resided in me, and had partly dissolved upon meeting Morpheus. The many mornings and afternoons spent in Amanda's cafe, the best neighbourhood retreat, with Viviana, Max, and Johnny could only satisfy the lonesome so much. You could say that I have long shared that same wish with the trees, but have always lacked the means to do so.

In the short time that I had known him, and not of him, I had quickly realized that he was not brought to me as a curse. He was a blessing in disguise, albeit with sharp teeth and a possessive personality. Morpheus reminded me that living does not always equal surviving and that it is okay to want more. There were close to thousands of other euphonies frolicking among the forest, similar to both the wistful song of the trees and the longing in my heart. A collection of rocks were begging to roam. A bunch of wildflowers were eager to expand. A family of fungus were greedy to multiply. However, the loudest, most fulfilling, salient call was the celebratory roar of the wolves.

I craved to join them, even before.

This melody was different compared to the silent screams of the forest. There were various hollers of victory, consisting of several booming voices that simultaneously rejoiced in the sweet, sweet taste of achievement and triumph, but among them were also low, melancholic whimpers of loss. Despite the anomalous clamour, there was a certain familiarity that was emerging from it. And, for just a second, I was back in my childhood bedroom, clutching an admired picture of my mother and listening to the moon cry out for me to praise the awakening of her son. Though there was loss, there was gain, as well.

Thankfully, on that night, the moon was on my side for yet a second time. The first was unappreciated.

My nerves settled down to match the sound of Morpheus' beating heart, following the slowing rhythm. And, although he was holding me in his arms without a single fuss, I could tell that he was struggling with the mate bond burning between us. It was not decelerating, nor was it fading. It was, however, growing. Yes, I am a human, but he is so much more than just a werewolf. There was no doubt in my mind that he was suffering the very same weakness that I was, especially with my body wholly dependent on his. In that moment, to be strikingly honest, I was welcoming the idea of losing myself to the bond completely.

As if sensing that I needed a break to be somewhat independent, Morpheus shifted to sit on the ground, interrupting my ponder. The heels of my feet planted themselves into the rich soil and the abrupt change in texture sent a jolt up my body, but it calmed my wild nerves. My legs were still wrapped tightly around his waist, but my rear was now propped up to rest on his lap. And, my hands had latched themselves onto his shoulders as a result of the new position. I pulled away from the amenable crook of his neck and faced him. The proximity was daunting as we bumped noses.

I sniffled as I looked at him—noting the way that blood had been smeared across his face and how there were only dried remnants of a fight left. The edges of his green eyes creased as he smiled up at me. Morpheus appeared perfectly fine, but I couldn't help it as I continued to frantically search his body with my own eyes. The ache of my ear was gone, now replaced with worry for someone else's pain.

How did he get here? How did he know? How?

"Morpheus!" I gasped, "What happened? Are you hurt? Did you-"