Twenty-Eight

"So how's work, Sweetie?" 

Auden's mother called her for the first time all summer. She rarely talked to her parents so every time they did have a phone call things were awkward and even a bit strange. It was no different that morning as Auden got ready for the day, the phone pressed to her ear as she wished for the conversation to end. 

She hated when her mom asked about her work. 

"Good. I told you about that job I took over the summer, and now I'm back at UCLA again." 

"Oh that's great. Have you considered doing classes at the college for a more substantial degree?" 

"Actually, the job is paying pretty well." 

Her mother chuckled, and the condescending tone was enough to make Auden's insides turn cold. She didn't know why she still got her hopes up. She knew not to seek her parent's approval with her work. But for some reason there was always a little part of her, the child in her, that wanted to be accepted by them. 

"I wouldn't call ten dollars an hour paying pretty well, Auden." Her mother chuckled some more and Auden's jaw clenched so hard she worried she might break a tooth. "But working for Juilliard as a professor would pay well." 

She wanted to tell her mother about all the money she'd earned working for HYBE, and was about to shove it in her face that she was almost a millionaire now, but she stopped herself. 

She didn't deserve to know. 

And Auden wasn't about to try and defend herself when she didn't need her mother's approval. Her mother would always be upset that she'd thrown away her opportunity to be a professional concert pianist, and that she didn't end up working as a professor at a prestigious music school.  She swallowed down the anger and forced herself to remain pleasant. 

"Your right mom, I should start looking for something else. I'll do that." 

"Great idea, Sweetie. Well I have to go now, your father invited over the Reeds and we are going to the country club together." 

"Have fun," Auden said, trying to keep her tone light. 

"Stay safe honey, and come home to visit soon, yeah?" 

"If I get some time I definitely will," she lied. She always said she'd try, but she always ended up finding an excuse to no show. 

"Love you," her mom said, and Auden didn't even get to say she loved her back before the line went dead. 

"Who was that?" Emmie asked as Auden threw the phone down onto her bed. Emmie stood in the doorway, pulling her hair up into a ponytail. 

"My mother," Auden said, not bothering to hide the disdain in her voice. 

"Oh. . ." 

"Yeah," Auden said and Emmie frowned. 

"You don't need them, Auden." 

"I know. . ." Auden looked down and Emmie came over to put her arm around her. She didn't know what she would do without Emmie. 

"Would going to lunch make you feel better?" 

And Auden hated to admit it, but food always made her feel better. She looked at her friend and nodded. "Can we go to Gingers?" 

Emme grinned. "Absolutely, let me grab my shoes." 

***

They were seated almost immediately when they arrived at the cute little restaurant on Main Street. The waitress handed them their menu's, asked what they wanted to drink, and then Auden started to browse the brunch options as the waitress left to get their waters.