Summer

The beginning of summer was so boring. My dad was always busy doing something and barely had time for me. Every night I'd dream of my mother and wake up in tears. I wanted, no needed to talk to him about it but I couldn't. 

Even if he was here physically I felt as if I lost both of my parents. 

I decided it was best to distract myself. So I wrote to my friends often. I didn't write the golden trio as much as I did Neville, Cedric and Draco. I soon had a small box full of letters from my friends. 

The letters from Draco were my favorite. I could tell him all about my trouble with my father and he'd listen. I even told him about the dreams of my mother. He helped me to understand what they could possibly mean and he tried his best to help me find ways to stop them. As hard as he tried to help me the dreams stayed anyway. It seemed as if he really cared so I told him they stopped. When he wrote me back I felt as if I could hear the joy in his voice. He told me he'd come to my party and that he had a surprise. As much as I'd like to deny it I did feel like I missed him. 

I was sitting on my bed writing Draco back when Cedric's owl pecked at my window. I shot out of bed dropping my half written letter and opened the window. I let his owl  in and fed him a treat as I got the letter from him. I flipped it over to see his family's stamp on the back. I watched his owl fly away and then sat back on my bed. I opened the letter and started to read it. 

Dear Y/n, 

My father agreed with me coming a day early for your party! I'll be arriving via Floo powder right to your living room. Now you've just got to wait three more days to see the most handsome guy you know. I can't wait to see you again though to be completely honest.. As much as I've enjoyed our letters I still miss you. I have a very very BIG surprise for you. I just hope you're as excited as me when it happens. And Merlin's beard am I nervous. I don't think I've been this nervous about anything before. No matter how it plays out I've got you so It doesn't matter. I hope you're just as excited to see me.I mean I am devilishly handsome and smart so who wouldn't. I'm just joking. (I'm not.) But in other news I've been selected to be a perfect this year. I can't wait for this year to come up Y/n. I've got to go now though sorry this letter is shorter than the last but my father needs me. I'll see you soon. 

Love, Cedric. 

Something about this letter felt different than our other letters. He signed it "Love Cedric." He never did that before. I shouldn't care. It's just a word. A common word, lots of people sign their letters like that. So why did I care? 

I brushed it off and wrote him back. 

Dear Cedric (the most handsome boy I know), 

Congrats on making perfect this year. I'm so happy for you. Can't say I'm shocked though. Who's a better candidate than Mr.Diggory? As for this surprise you have no need to be worried. No matter what it is it'll be perfect because you're perfect. So no need to worry. I can't wait to see you either. Make sure to thank your father for me. I can't wait ,my birthday is in 4 days!!!! I'm so excited! I honestly can't wait to see all of you. I hope you're being safe and having fun. I'll see you in three days. I can't wait!

Sincerely, Y/n

I gave my letter to my owl and decided to pick out an outfit for my birthday. 

I started to flip through my closet to find something. It couldn't be too extra but also couldn't be too bland. Nothing too flashy but had to have some pop to it.  As I tried on some clothes I realized I had encountered a problem.