CHAPTER 27: PASTA

"I told you," I tell Nick on the phone for the thousandth time, "I'm busy tonight."

"Sitting on the couch watching The Bachelor while your roommate cries isn't considered plans," Nick says promptly.

"Gemma needs me," I argue.

"Oh, bullshit." I can imagine him rolling his eyes. "Gemma doesn't need anybody."

"Nick, she's going through a break up with..." I try my best not to say 'coffee shop girl'. "She's going through a tough time.

"You can't even think of the girl's name," Nick interjects.

It's not that I wasn't paying attention; Gemma and I just like to live our lives together but independent. I'm not demanding a list of what's going on in hers and she's not expecting one from me. We talk about whatever comes up whenever it comes up.

"Nick." I sigh. "I really don't want to."

"Why?"

"Someone who lives in your house doesn't like me," I remind him, "It makes the whole situation a bit awkward."

"He'll get over it."

I let out a little laugh. "I don't know if it works like that."

"Give me a second," Nick mutters before there's some shuffling around on the other side of the phone.

It takes a couple minutes before I can hear him knock and open a door at the same time. I can hear someone mutter something unintelligible before he hangs up on me completely.

My jaw drops, wondering why in the world he would do that. I don't take it personally, not until he tells me what's going on.

Gemma walks into the living room. She's wearing her favorite top for going out as she searches for something in the couch.

"Where are you going?" I ask.

"Out to the bars," she says absent-mindedly while picking up a pillow.

I refrain myself from asking why. Instead I ask what she's looking for.

"My lip gloss. I thought I had it out here." She sighs, turning to our little basket sitting by the door.

"You had your lip gloss on the couch?" I ask, "What were you doing?"

Her lips turn into a small smile before she opens her mouth.

"Don't answer that." I change my mind. "Does this mean you're not staying in?"

"That's the point of going out." She rolls her eyes.

I nod once, knowing she wasn't going to invite me. Drinking in public places really just isn't my thing.

My phone rings right as she picks up a pink tube with a smile. She glances to me. "I'll let you take that."

I laugh a little before picking up the phone, surprised that it's now Clay calling me.

"We have a plan," Nick says when I answer.

I double check who called me. "Where's Clay?" I ask.

"Right here," he says. I must be on speaker phone.

It's not that Clay and I aren't on good terms, but we did just have our first actual argument last week. I've talked on the phone with him a couple times, all times I felt slightly on the edge.

"We have a plan," Nick repeats. "We're going to slowly ease you guys into besties."

I laugh at his word choice. "I don't know if George and I will ever be besties."