Chapter Forty-Nine: Fresh Starts

The Loud shrill of Han's Heart monitor finally tears them apart from eachother. Han looks up at her, his eyes weary.

" I shouldn't have done that, Twinkie." He breaks off his words as a coughing fit hits him, pain burning his throat as the couching strains his lung. Taking away his hand he sees speck of blood on his fingers. "Well fuck," He croaks out. Katie shifts on the bed and grabs the pitcher of water and glass that was on the bedside table, bringing it to his lips for him. He smiles and takes a small sip, wincing as the cool water hits and stings his throat. Resting his head back down he feels Katie curl back up to him as he closes his eyes, her head resting on his chest and he moves his head so his chin was resting on the top of her head, slowly brings his arm around to hold her.

Just then a night nurse comes in, stopping in her tracks at the sight of Katie curled up next to him.

"Miss You can't be up there, please get down." She says sternly. Han Opens his eyes and moves his head toward the nurse, Her eyes widen. "Oh Oh You're awake! I'll get Dr Montgomery!" She stammers and rushes out of the room. Katie chuckles and looks at him.

"I think you just startled your nurse, that's not very nice." She teases, bringing her face to his and gently kissing him. Before she can deepen it he tears his mouth away, pushing her up with weak strength.

"No, we can't, I wont do this to Twink." He says. Katie just shakes her head, her hair tickling his chest. She looks down and runs her fingers across the bandage, shudders running through her as she remembers that night.

" Twink and I were the ones that found you, You were slumped against your bed, blood everywhere, You woke up for a few seconds and then-" She blinks hard trying to keep from crying, "And then you stopped breathing. I rode in the ambulance with you and Han you flatlined twice, Twice." She looks at him then, tears streaming down her face as raw emotions shone in her bright eyes. The pain of almost losing him etched deeply on her face. He looks at her and putting his hand over hers he lifts it and places it on the smooth skin of his chest, right above his heart, its soft strong beats thumping under her hand.

"Do you feel that?" He whispers, she looks down at their hands and sucks in a shaky breath nodding. "I'm not flat lining now, I'm right here." He says

"I thought I was going to lose you." She whispers in a small voice.

"You wont ever lose me Katie, ever." She looks up at him and laces their hands together squeezing his strongly a silly grin spreading across her face when Finally he returns the pressure. "You and Twinkie?" She frowns and shakes her head.

"He said that he realized we would never work out, because my heart already belonged to someone else." She says, he tilts his head a question in his eyes and hope in his heart. "IT belongs to You Han, It always has." He smirks up at her and tugging on their connected hands he doesn't stop or push her away when she kisses his lips again, the salt from her tears mixing in.

"Oh My, I see you're feeling much better." a voice says, a chuckle sounding. Katie pulls away and blushes, looking up at the doctor .Han turns around to see the doctor whose voice had filtered through the fog time and time again. "Hello Han, Its wonderful to see you awake. My name is Dr Montgomery, but as my patient you can call me Geoff." He says walking over to him. Katie moves to get off the bed but Han grips her with his little strength, refusing to let her go. Dr Montgomery sees the gesture and laughs. "Its quite alright Katie, you can stay there, as long as you do not pull any of his IV's, I'll let the nurses know." He says his eyes kind, making Han like him already.

"Are you the one who operated on me?" He says. Montgomery nods his head and taking out a small light he steps over to him, asking it it was OK that he checked his vitals and what not. Han nods, Trying hard not to blink when he flashes a little light in his eyes.