Fifty-Five

[|]

I was in the middle of watching a movie when I remembered that I have not checked my examination results. I had to spring up from the couch I was sitting on to the bedroom where my phone was, startling Lucas who was using his laptop and going through some documents.

"What's the rush? What's wrong?" He asked, sounding worried.

I went to my phone and quickly opened it. At first, I checked our group chat and saw others talking about their results, and immediately opened the school website. I groaned when I realized that I could not access it with my phone, which was such a stupid thing for my school to do.

I threw my head back and groaned.

"What is it?" Lucas asked again.

I scratched my head. "My exam result is out today so I have to check but I can't with my phone. Now, I need to go to a cyber cafe."

"Why don't you just use my laptop," he said and I looked at the black device.

"But—"

"Don't start, just use it," he said and turned it around.

I hesitantly walked over to where he sat on the bed and smiled.

"Thank you," I said and sat on the bed then pulled the slick laptop closer to me. I met his gaze for a brief moment before typing in the school's website and logging in my details.

My heart began to beat in fear of what my results would look like. I felt I was going to fail after all the mental stress I went through and then again, I was going to be in more emotional problems if I failed any course. I didn't have the money to repeat another course and go through the same class again.

I exhaled in relief and clicked on the result tab. It loaded and I shut my eyes. I counted to ten before opening my eyes and seeing my results.

"Thank God," I said, happy at the grades on my exams.

"Let me guess? You got As throughout?" Lucas asked, smirking at me.

I chuckled. "Five As, four Bs, and two Cs. I still got my juice."

Lucas laughed, clapping his hands in the process. It was a beautiful sight to see him laugh genuinely. I shook my head and looked down at the laptop. My happiness soon died down when I realized I had debts and a new year to pay for. I hesitantly went to my loan details and stared at the digits, which were glaring back at me.

"Are you okay?"

I closed the laptop and stood up. I tucked a lock of my hair behind my ear and nodded my head.

"Yes. Thank you for letting me use your laptop. I have to go now," I said and rushed out of the room.

I reached the kitchen and leaned on the counter.

"I've not made enough to cover my fees and clear off parts of my debts. I need to get enough money to do this. School starts soon and I have no clue what to do," I said and rubbed my face, anger, and frustration filling my body. "Maybe I could call Clark and tell him I will work throughout the week. But that means he has to pay me extra and I don't think he has that kind of money to pay me every week until school resumes."

I clenched my hands on the counter and gritted my teeth.

"Lord, all I need is a miracle," I said.

[|]

As I took a stroll through the park close to Lucas' apartment building. It was crowded with people enjoying the warm sun. Dance groups were entertaining the public in one corner, street performers in another corner, kids running around, and people laying on the grass or people walking around with their pets.

I spotted a free bench and made my way to it then sat down. I crossed my legs and I leaned on the bench, taking in the busy park. From the corner of my eye, someone came up from behind the bench and sat beside me.

I turned my head and saw it was a man with a black cap with his hands in the pockets of his sweatshirt. I could see a peek of dark hair and his sharp jawline.

Since he was not someone I knew, I looked away and took out my phone, about to play a game but paused when the man shifted closer. I put my phone away and got ready to leave.

"Don't, Jackie."

My eyes got wide at the familiar voice. It was Tony. I quickly rose from the bench and faced him. He stood up and took off his cap, revealing his face. He was more grown than before with a defined face and shorter hair than the time in high school. He looked good but he was my bully and the devil looked more handsome than Tony did.

"What do you want? Why do you keep following me?" I asked, stepping back.

"Jackie, don't be scared."

I got angry. "Scared? Did you just tell me not to be scared? Wow, the guy who bullied me in school because he fell into the pool due to his own mistake wants me to remain unafraid of him?"

I was angry to the bones because I didn't want anything that had to do with Redside town coming back to me. I left a part of me there and I didn't want any more of it coming back to me.

"No, please. Just hear me out. I have something to tell you. I need you to hear me out."

I shook my head. "I don't want to hear it. Leave my life for good, Tony! I don't want you bringing back memories I have buried. You ruined my self-esteem back in high school! You made everything bad for me! Leave me alone!"

I noticed that people were now looking at us and I was glad, I felt safe that people were aware of the fact that he was trying to talk to me. That way, he would not do anything to hurt me like always.

I turned away to leave but he was faster and blocked my path. I hissed and raised my hand to slap him but he held my hand faster, a pleading look on his face.

"Jackie, you're not safe. Just let me explain everything I know to you."

"Is everything okay over here?" A new voice filled my ears and I turned my head.

It was a police officer and I quickly moved back. I glanced at Tony who had a scared look in his eyes, almost as if he was begging me not to say anything. I didn't care if he was arrested but I didn't want any more trouble.

"Everything is fine. It's just an argument with... With a friend. Excuse me," I said and left as fast as I could.

I ran out of the park, praying Tony did not follow me. I didn't stop running until I got to the apartment building. As I boarded an elevator, my phone vibrated in my pocket. I took it out and saw it was an email from my school. I panicked because I was sure it had to do with my student loan.

With shaky hands, I unlocked my phone and opened the mail. As I read the first paragraph of the mail, my eyes went wide.

"Jesus! Who cleared my student's loan?"

A/n: Cliffhanger, right?

So, Tony has something to tell Jackie but understandably Jackie can't let him speak.

Now, her student loan is cleared? Who could have paid it off?

Please, leave a comment and vote.