II. twenty-one

┍━━━━━━━━━━━╝✤╚━━━━━━━━━━━┑

━━━━━━━ ✤ ━━━━━━━

Eunbyul stirred the pot of boiling ramyeon one last time before she turned the knob of the gas stove off.

"So did everything go well?" she asked.

On the table behind her, Chayoung set down the shot glass with a nod, "Yes, it did. Even though he had some balls on him, throwing it in my face how bad of a daughter I was to our father..." Chayoung bit out as she lowly reproached the Italian lawyer's name, reaching out for another soju bottle and popping the cap open.

"I did just as you asked, so don't you worry," the brunette said. The tasteful liquor drowning out the slight resentment that had itched unpleasant in her throat. She looked up from her seat and watched as her little sister took a bowl from the cupboard and served the ramyeon noodles for both of them. "I told him everything he didn't want to hear—that is, everything you told me he wouldn't want to hear."

"Mmm," Eunbyul hummed in agreement. She turned around to sit down at the small kitchen table of their father's home—the home that was now rightfully all Chayoung's—offering the bowl to Chayoung, while she took the other half in the same pot she cooked it in.

"What are you planning to do with him, though? He's only a lawyer in Italy." Chayoung dipped her chopsticks into the bowl and blew softly on the string of noodles. After taking a bite, she added, "The best he can do here is be an advisor to the case and I don't think I have to tell you—"

"You don't need an advisor to help you win," Eunbyul smiled, looking down at her ramyeon with an understanding sigh, "Yeah, Unnie, I know."

"Then, what?" She urged the question and looked at her once Eunbyul met her gaze, "What is it that makes him so great for us?"

"We need someone for Babel to blame, okay?" Eunbyul let out and at the inquisitive tilt of the brunette's head, she sighed again and explained, "I'm blowing up their drug warehouse and you're taking them on at court, and we can't do that without having someone to take the fall."

"You're gonna use Mr. Cassano like that? Wow, Eunbyul-ah, that's kind of extreme," Chayoung smiled back at her, impressed but there was an underlying hint of concern in her tone.

"If it comes to that," Eunbyul eased, "I'm not trying to get Mr. Cassano imprisoned or killed or anything of the sort. But if something goes wrong, I have to make sure that the tenants and you are protected from it first."

If Chairman Jang was half the devil that she painted him out to be, then he was going to be out for blood after what she was planning to do to him. And while she was ready to deal with whatever consequences those were, she wouldn't let anything happen to them. If it came to this, then Eunbyul would rather have all rules thrown out the window.