Chapter Eighty-Seven

Daphne is leaning against Damon's headboard as she reads through the Gilbert journal

Daphne is leaning against Damon's headboard as she reads through the Gilbert journal. She's been awake for a while but didn't want to fully get up, so she chose to read in his bed whilst Damon lays with his head in her lap, her fingers carding through his hair as he sort of sleeps. He's awake but on the brink of going back to sleep, he only woke up to get more comfortable against her. It's still dark outside and he doesn't understand why she is awake and reading before the sun has risen. Especially with a win under their belt. They got one up on Esther. They have a sort of stalemate with Klaus. He opens his eyes to look up at her and she raises an eyebrow sensing his eyes on her.

"You never did tell me whose journal it was that you were reading" He teases a little, she smirks and scratches at his scalp, and he hums and leans into it. That feels amazing. She is basically treating him like a cat and he is totally okay with it right now when it feels that good.

"It's Samantha Gilbert's" She offers. Damon looks at her surprised, leaning up sharply. "What?" She asks noting his look.

"Samantha Gilbert" he repeats, she nods. "That is very weird" He admits.

"Why?"

"Because I'm pretty sure I had already killed her" He answers.

"So you think Samantha Gilbert is still alive, running around Mystic Falls, killing Founders?" She counters. Damon shakes his head.

"It's not possible, if she became a vampire, I'd know about it, right?" She shrugs a little.

"Then she must have had a ring that brought her back to life, I mean she was a Gilbert, right? Those rings were passed on for generations"

"Yeah, but even if she had a ring, she wouldn't be alive today. Doesn't protect her from old age"

"Johnathan Gilbert only made two of those rings. Jeremy has one of them and the other's...."

"Alaric's" Damon realises. Daphne flicks through a few pages of the journal and shakes her head. Damon asked her to look into jewellery going wrong. He must have had an idea about this before this. A feeling about it. It has to be the rings. Which means they need to get it off of Alaric's finger and Jeremy's. Her eyes find an entry in the journal that worries her instantly.

"I don't feel like myself. I'm losing time. As though I'm going mad" She reads from the page and then shares a look with Damon before she pushes herself to her feet. "I have to find him" She admits. "We have to fix this"

....

It turns out that Daphne and Damon are not the only ones to conclude that it could be Alaric that is behind the recent murders in town, or that it is his funky witchy ring that is the cause. Meredith, the doctor from the hospital, also came to the same conclusion. Some old Fell journal lead her to the truth. Much like it had been a Gilbert journal that had guided Daphne. She has several books tucked under her arm, they are all on the subject of cursed jewellery, she also has Samantha Gilbert's journal slid in there and she watches Alaric through a window at the hospital. It had been Meredith's idea to have him in for a scan. An MRI. Medical stuff. To be honest, if she can't fix it with magic, then there is no way that science is going to be able to do it, but if it helps Alaric feel better, or at least feel like they are doing something to help him. Daphne knows how much Alaric has been there for Jeremy and Elena, and if she can help him, then she will try to help him in any way that she can. Elena stands with her, watching through the same window as her. Meredith is making some notes on a medical chart, most likely Alaric's.