Chapter- 24 Am I?

Karthik's POV

"So, Karthik, you hate Maa, I mean your stepmom," she asked, more stated.

"No," I responded immediately. What made her think like that?

"You don't hate her?" This time she questioned.

"No, actually, I liked her very much from childhood. We used to play a lot. She pampered me like her own son and you know we used to be crime partners. We used to do many naughty things together. We used to eat ice cream in the rain then earn earful from mom," I replied, thinking about the old times.

"You both knew each other from childhood?" she asked, surprised.

"Yeah, actually, she is my mom's younger sister, so we had a good relationship."
"After my mom's death, my grandparents forced my dad to marry again, but dad didn't agree. However, my grandparents threatened him in the name of us, especially Anjali, as a girl needs a mother. My aunt was fond of us, so she decided to marry him, for us. As she also knows my dad won't love her like he loved my mother, my dad accepted."

"You know she didn't even give birth to a child because she thought we would feel insecure if she had her own children. She sacrificed herself just for us. I respect her as much as I respect my own mom," I explained.

"Does she know that?" That was her reply, and I just stared at her, not knowing what to say.

"You know what, Karthik, she thinks that you hate her because she took your mom's place in your dad's life."

"No, I never hated her, instead I admire her," I exclaimed immediately.

"But she doesn't know that. You never expressed it to her. Karthik, as I said before, communication is the key in every relationship, be it friends, lovers, wife and husband, or parent and child. Every relationship needs proper communication. Communication gap can kill a relationship just like Maa and yours," she explained.

"What can I do now?" I mumbled, holding my head in my palms in distress.

"Express yourself, Karthik. Express to her what she meant to you. Tell her how you feel about her, make her understand that you don't hate her," Megha said, patting my back as she sat beside me.

I looked straight into her eyes. She is looking like an angel. I hugged her and she, too, wrapped her hands around my torso.

"Is it okay?" I asked.

I don't know why, but I am not comfortable to share my feelings with anyone but this unique woman asking me to express myself.

"Trust me, will you?" She questioned.

"More than anything," I replied without thinking twice.

"Then go and have a chat with her. Trust me, everything will be alright with a proper chat," she said with a smile.

I smiled and kissed her forehead, then she sent me to my mother's room.
She came with me downstairs as I was hesitating to go. She stopped at the door of her room and gave me a light push.

"Don't hesitate, go and talk with her. I will wait for you here until you come back, ok," she assured me.

I stared at her gratefully.

"Go," she smiled.

I knocked on the door and entered after hearing a come in. There she sat on the couch, looking at a photo album. Her eyes widened as soon as she saw me.

"Come and sit, beta, do you need anything?" She asked carefully.

"No, I came here to talk with you," I replied slowly.