Chapter 29

It was the morning of the expedition and preparations were almost complete, however Kaya had one preparation that she was questioning to fulfil. She'd finally accepted her feelings for her captain but was overwhelmed by the pressure that came with confessing. The ghoul kept wondering if it would be selfish to confront Levi just before the expedition, what if one of them died? Would it be a secret best kept or would it be mutual? Regardless, even if she did make it back from the expedition she'd have to shed light about ghouls on her squad, which she wasn't exactly looking forwards to.

"Kaya, a word if don't mind." Erwin broke Kaya out of her train of thoughts.

The thief nodded and followed Erwin into his office, it felt as though she was about to get scolded once again by the commander and the ghoul didn't enjoy the feeling of being perceived as a child.

"I understand of your relationship with Levi." He began.

"What relationship?" Kaya asked, she'd decided to annoy Erwin by denying any claims he could possibly make during their encounter.

"You and him share a close bond, do you not?"

"Nope."

Erwin sighed, clearly giving up on his attempt to find common ground with the underground woman. "You didn't eat last night, did you?"

"We're you watching me all night? That's not exactly flattering Erwin, I expected better from the commander of the survey corps." She tried to change the subject.

"You possess some kind of ability, right?" His question came off as more of a statement.

"Nope."

"I've asked everyone you're close with but none of them seem to know any answers." He disregarded Kaya's answer. "However, your squad do have some concerns, you're lucky that they are so trusting of you to not hand out the information." Erwin countered in a threatening tone.

The ghoul hummed in response before getting out of her seat. "If that's all you wanted to discuss then I'll be leaving now. I'll see you on the field Erwin." Kaya spoke, her voiced laced with mockery as she refused to use his military title.

As soon as Kaya heard the click of the door, she sighed and pressed her weight against the barrier between her and Erwin. Levi had described Erwin as a genius and had even gone as far as to say he was humanities hope, but to the ghoul, he was just a pain in the ass.

Shortly later,the scouts set off towards their new destination, riding their horses along the walls to conserve time and effort. The people of Trost were pleased to see the scouts and the famous titan shifter due to previously being saved by the boy. It was truly motivating to see so many people in support of the scouts, of the few months Kaya had spent with them, she'd never seen the crowds so non-critical and joyful.

"It's a nice change, isn't it?" Levi whispered to the thief as they waited for Erwin the make his orders.

"Yeah, inspiring to say the least." She smiled, turning her head once hearing the screams of her squad mates. "They seem to be feeling it."

"I need to learn how to get this squad under control." Levi sighed while the duo watched the squad cheer and reinforce the audiences screams.

"It's a lost cause, no amount of kicking can make these guys disciplined." Kaya countered, depriving Levi of the reassurance he needed.

"I wonder how long it's been since the scouts got a send off like this?" A scout asked.

"Don't think we ever have."

"Well as far as I'm aware at least, this is a first." Erwin's face moulded into a determined smile. "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" The commander shouted, raising his hand and beckoning the crowd to follow his actions.