CHAPTER FIFTY-FIVE

ACE OF HEARTS
CHAPTER FIFTY-FIVE: TAG, YOU'RE IT

     IT DID NOT TAKE STEVE HARRINGTON very long to transport Mike Wheeler and Cassie Harrington over to the Wheeler's house, since he believed that his sister's well-being was more important than any of the speeding laws

     IT DID NOT TAKE STEVE HARRINGTON very long to transport Mike Wheeler and Cassie Harrington over to the Wheeler's house, since he believed that his sister's well-being was more important than any of the speeding laws. What should've taken him fifteen minutes, soon cut down to six, which allowed the group to arrive at the house much faster than anticipated. Of course, this had not been part of their original plan, but the group had to improvise after witnessing Cassie's sudden episode.

Their new plan, however, was much more thought through. While Cassie and Mike were stationed at the Wheeler's house, Steve, Max, and Dustin would go to Ms. Kelly's in order to retrieve crucial information on her sessions with Chrissy Cunningham. Meanwhile, Nancy and Robin were to go on a completely separate, quite random mission that nobody else knew about. Assuming that both teams complete their tasks successfully, those groups will then meet Mike and Cassie back at the Wheeler's house and discuss their new found information. 

"We should be back soon," Steve Harrington announced after pulling up to the Wheeler's house, watching as Cassie and Mike stepped out of the vehicle.

From the backseat, Dustin Henderson finished, "And if we're not back, make sure to keep your radio on."

"Alright, keep us updated," Mike replied, shutting Steve's car door closed.

When entering into his house, Mike Wheeler carefully helped Cassie Harrington up the set of stairs, making sure to keep quiet in order to avoid his mother. Once reaching the upper level of the house, Mike immediately brought her into his bedroom and set her down gently on his bed. For a moment, the two sat in silence, catching their breath as they stared off into space. Although they did not yet know what was going on, they knew something just wasn't right.

"Is it okay if I go to sleep for a little bit?" Cassie asked the boy. "I feel like resting will help."

"Are you sure?" Mike replied, his voice filled with worry. "Don't you think you should eat first? Or maybe drink some water?"

"No, not yet," Cassie spoke, a yawn escaping her mouth as she situated herself into a laying position. "I just...I need to..."

As soon as the girl's head hit the pillow, she felt her eyes flutter closed, leading her into a deep sleep.

───────────────

In an abrupt state of panic, Cassie Harrington's eyes snapped open, her body trembling as she shot upright into a seated position with her back hitting the wall. Taking quick, rapid breaths, the girl's heart pounded harshly against her chest as she frantically searched around the room for the familiar face of Mike Wheeler. The girl had just awoken from a horrible nightmare, to which she couldn't seem to get out of her mind. Turning her body to face the bedside table, the girl fixated her gaze on the clock beside her, examining the glowing numbers that read 7:54 PM.