Chapter 51

That night the temperature dropped to freezing. And shortly after falling asleep, Maddy woke up with her teeth chattering. She wished she would have brought a wool hat or something to keep her head warm. Tae must have still been out at the fire because only Jungkook was there in the tent. She scooted her sleeping bag closer to him and rested her head on his chest.

The movement on the air mattress woke up Jungkook and when he reached out to her, he could feel how cold she was. "You are shivering, how are you so cold?"

Maddy was able to barely make out his outline in the dark. "How are you not freezing to death? Do you have a heater in there or a special sleeping bag or something?"

Jungkook smiled, "I usually run a bit hot. Here, come in here with me where it is warm." Maddy did not hesitate to climb out of her sleeping bag and into Jungkook's. It was a tight fit but they were used to cuddling.

"You are SOOOOO warm." She wrapped her arms around him, and sandwiched her leg between his and got as close as she could to his heat. Her shivering calmed down right away and Jungkook felt so good in her arms. She pushed any thoughts about the next day away and just enjoyed the cuddle session, pretending in her mind that they would get to do this every night like usual.

Jungkook and Maddy were professional cuddlers at this point. They both knew what made the other one comfortable and were able to adjust to fit together perfectly. Maddy knew that Jungkook needed to have his hands on her skin so she adjusted so he could have a spot to put his fingers. She also knew that he liked to bury his face in her hair when she had just washed it with her lilac shampoo. She had not had her normal shampoo while camping but Jungkook pressed his nose to the top of her head anyway. Jungkook knew that Maddy slept best when she used him as a pillow, so if he laid on his side he put his arm under her head, when he laid on his back she could rest her head on his chest.

Even though the sleeping bag gave them a new challenge, they were able to fit together like puzzle pieces, and with big contented sighs and several forehead kisses, they fell comfortably asleep. Jungkook had no idea it would be the last night he would cuddle on Maddy for a long while.

When they woke up, both Tae and Jimin were in the tent with them. Tae was cuddling on Maddy as best he could with her sharing a sleeping bag with Jungkook. Jimin was on the far side. It wasn't nearly as warm in the tent with the clouds that had moved in over the night. It was a rather grey morning and without direct sunlight, the tent just didn't heat up like on the other mornings.

Jungkook had such a nice sleep, one of the best he had in a while. He always slept better with Maddy in his arms. He had enjoyed sharing a sleeping bag with her because they were forced to closely snuggle the whole night. He didn't even mind that Tae was cuddling to the back of her, he thought Tae had probably helped keep her warm during the night.

He laid there with Maddy in his arms and he thought more about asking her to be his girlfriend. He had never had a girlfriend before, it felt like a big step. He thought he should ask her soon. Maybe he could ask her to be his girlfriend and go to the dance with him at the same time. He smiled at how happy she would probably be. He was pretty sure she had wanted to be his girlfriend for a while. Now he was finally ready, almost.

The morning was a flurry of activity. After breakfast, tents came down, equipment was packed up. They filled the back of Jin's truck with sleeping bags and camping chairs and everything else. Jimin and Hobi were deflating the inner tubes and Jin said they would leave in about an hour.

Maddy's heart was beating so fast, she knew she needed to talk to Jungkook now, before they headed back and they dropped her at home. "Kookie, can we talk for a minute?"

Jungkook took her hand and smiled, "Sure, let's walk down to the river one last time. Jin Hyung is busy he won't even notice."

Jungkook observed on their way down to the river that Maddy looked ill. "Are you alright? Are you sick?"