Chapter three | there's a murderer in Hawkins

Val laid sprawled out on the ground with her eyes closed. The grass felt nice and calming under her as she breathed in and out. Tracing around her like those lines used to show where a dead body was were dozens of small daisy's.

She smiled softly to herself as she sat up slowly. Around her were all kinds of flowers each more exotic than the other.

She remembered when she first started this garden. It was after her failed extraction and she needed something else to put her mind on. It started small but then enveloped her entire backyard. Her parents didn't mind. They actually encouraged her to find something that was her and hers alone. Said it would help ground her.

She knew Max was still hurt about the entire extraction thing. Maybe not as angry as she was at first but she still hadn't forgotten about it.

Valerie sighed as she hovered her hand over the soft grass and small multi colored tulips began to grow.

There were times when her powers scared her and she wanted nothing to do with them, but there wasn't anything she could do anymore. She had tried to get rid of them even with the risks. And with Max expressing that she didn't think it was a good idea. But of course she didn't listen and had to spend a week in the hospital.

Valerie gave a small chuckle as she realized since coming to Hawkins she spent lots of time in the local hospital. First for the whole birthing her twin and having a nasty demodog bite, then for the broken leg thanks to the mindflayer, and finally for trying to ride herself of her stupidly overpowered curse.

Her attention was pulled from the memories when she heard footsteps behind her.

"Yes Hope?" She asked turning her head to look at the girl behind her.

"You've been back here for hours."

Valerie blinked and looked down at her watch, "oh."

"Yeah, also mom is gone."

Valerie spun around and stood up quickly, "what!"

"Yeah some emergency work trip, I don't know. She left pretty quickly. Dad says not to worry about it."Valerie scoffed and rolled her eyes. They had as a family decided to not keep things from each other, and yet she obviously weren't keeping up their end of the deal. But instead of getting angry Valerie sighed and looked back to the ground. Small flowers once again began to rise up slowly.

"What? Not getting angry? Or cursing?"

"Nope, I'm entirely calm. That's not me anymore."

"Wow, Valerie Sinclair, ever the pacifist." Valerie grinned at her and Hope rolled her eyes.

"Mike's gone too right? Out to California?"

"Yeah, I think he left sometime this morning." Valerie hummed at the answer and looked away for a moment before a sly grin slide on her face and she turned back to her sister.

"Shame you couldn't go. I'm sure Will would have liked to see you." She wiggled her eyebrows as she looked at Hope who stared wide eyed at her. Hope looked away embarrassed.

"It's not like that," she huffed folding her arms.

"Oh really?"

"Yes!" Valerie laughed at her outburst but Hope glared. "I'm serious we're just friends,"

Valerie tilted her head slightly and sainted her eyes, "really?"

"Yeah," Hope unfolded her arms and twiddled them awkwardly in her lap.

"Well is there anyone that's caught your eyes?" Valerie pushed lightly

Hope sighed and turned away, "no?"

"You can tell me. My lips are sealed!" Valerie imitated herself locking her lips and Hope chuckled softly.

"I'm serious. There isn't anybody," she deflated slowly and looked up to met Valerie's eyes, "I don't think I want anybody anyways, not in that way at least. I'd much rather prefer to have friends, if that makes any sense?"

Valerie stared for a second before smiling softly, "yeah that makes sense."

Dusting off her shorts Valerie stood up and extended her hand out to Hope who quickly took it. The two then began to walk away back into the house where their dad waited with lunch.

As the two sisters sat in the kitchen eating their father sat in the living room watching the local news. They didn't pay much attention until the heard some concerning information.

Exchanging worried glances the two walked into the living room and stared at the screen.

Someone was murdered.

A/N: just finished vol 2 so spoilers below

Bro!!! Wtf!!!

When I tell you I had to pause on that scene and take a break because Max is literally my favorite character. Like they can kill everyone off and I'll be fine as long as she's alive.

And Eddie!! Why!!! I knew it was coming but why!!!

Also can we get a shoutout to Caleb because his acting was phenomenal.