104

Bondita went to the kitchen, only half of her mind working. Pati Babu had to leave without having breakfast. He said he would eat after he came back. She was keeping aside his food. But her hands were clumsy, still. What was going on in his mind for him to do all that ? And what must he think of her after watching her like that ?

" Bondita...?" Sampoorna entered with Sashwati in her arms.

" Didi !" Bondita wanted to tell someone about this. But at the same time it felt too precious to be shared.

" All ok ?"

" Yes. Why won't it be ?" She asked nervously.

" Nothing. You changed your blouse."

" It was all wet. You told me to go...to him in such a hurry I was not able to dry myself."

" Oh ! And was the bath today ? I can tell you still smell good."

Bondita closed her eyes for a moment. " That I don't know Didi."

" Aniruddh would be able to give a better opinion on how good you smell."

" You...did that on purpose ?" Bondita turned to her Didi.

" Did what ?" Sampoorna got a little nervous. Interference in their marriage by anyone else had always proved hazardous. And Bondita knew that. The reason those two never shared their personal problems or progress with anyone. She didn't have any intension to interfere today too. Just a little help. She wasn't giving Bondita any false ideas.

" All that... hurrying and..."

" Yes. What if the smell wore off ? How would he known that you smelled good?"

" But you said that was for attracting husbands. I... don't..."

" Yes yes I know. You two are not like that. But don't you always showoff anything good to him first ? It was just like that."

It was ? Bondita didn't know. " Oh. I just..."

" I am sure he must have noticed it. Did he say something ?"

" No. I mean...he asked wh...what it was."

" That's all ?"

" Hmmm..." Bondita turned away. Sampoorna understood it wasn't but she didn't want to pry it out. Their personal moments were none of her business. For them to happen, that was what she wanted for her sister.

Tapur had turned her wardrobe out to look for the matching blouse. She was sure she had pulled it out but when she was about to put on clothes, she found it was missing. Good thing Koyeli was there to get her another one. But where was it ? She desperately wanted it to be here because if not that meant it was lying around somewhere in the haveli. Even then someone might have found it while morning cleaning. Where was it ??!!!

Somnath stood staring at the article of clothing on his sofa very worried. Now what to do with it ? Give it to a servant to return it to her. Yes...and loose all reputation of an honorable Zamindar. Put it back in her room without her noticing. Like she must have not already found out it was missing. He should have left it there. But it was all panick. He was afraid she would return looking for it and finding it near him would be awkward. He could have just left but what made him leave with it in a ball in his hands was beyond his reasoning.

" Zamindar Babu !" The knock on the door had him panicked all over again. Throwing a pillow on it he ran to open the door. Bihari. " Here. I will place your clothes in the almirah and leave."

" Ok. Be quick. I have to study."

" Ji." And he soon left.

Tapur's...belonging. It could not stay in this room.
That was for sure.