4

P.EVANS + J.POTTER

another short chapter — hehe sorry<3

<4>
bambi

PETER NEVER TURNED BACK once they had all made it into the rickety old shack. Instead, his quiet little squeaks and the small steps that could barely be heard, roamed around the room as Petunia followed in behind him, looking around.

Some parts were familiar to her, others not so much. Her visions were never as detailed as real life, though, that was expected. In her vision, Petunia never had the opportunity to see the decorated scratches and gashes that replaced the original design of the paint and wooden floors — which even had sprinkles of red, when she looked closer.

She looked to James.

     "Totally valid question here," She spoke shortly, knowing that her question was nowhere near valid.

Though, he waited for her to speak.

     "So, you wear glasses," She stated, already seeing his expression change. He knew where this was going. "When you turn into Bambi does your eyesight just get better or do you wear your glasses.. while.. y'know?"

He almost looked speechless.

And as Petunia watched him stare back at her, a look of disbelief on his face — the boy blankly pushed up his glasses, an incoherent answer leaving his lips.

"For starters," His voice still held confusion, almost as if he didn't even know what he was about to say. "That is totally not a valid question."

And as soon as the words left his lips, Petunia scoffed in response, trying her best to stick up for herself as she crossed her arms. "It's totally valid!" She defended, though, she cringed as her voice grew higher at her words, "I could've asked if you wore those goggle glasses things!"

He looked at her expectantly.

"Do you?"

He rolled his eyes.

"Secondly," He ignored her question, "What the fuck is a Bambi?"

     Petunia first laughed, thinking he was joking. But as confusion crossed his face, not a hint of amusement in his expression, she frowned.

     "Out of everyone," She deadpanned, "You don't know what Bambi is?"

he never responded.

"It's a movie about a deer."

His face stayed blank.

      "Are we just assuming that I watched a movie about a deer," He paused momentarily, "Because I can turn into one."

Petunia almost nodded, but stopped herself before she did — finding a vocal answer instead.

"It's a classic!" She defended, "I... forget what happens.. but," She thoughtfully said, "It's kinda sad."

"what?"

"Well I don't want to spoil it for you," She grew awkward, "But it has... a.. uhm," Her voice grew quieter, letting her hand leave her side and make a gun gesture.

"IT DIES?"

"Technically not Bambi..."

he looked stressed.

"James was a sheltered child," The voice of Peter suddenly boomed. And just then did the other two realize he was no longer in his rat form. "He cried during every movie he watched," the small boy explained, hovering his hands over James's ears, "Don't tell him how Old Yeller ends."

"I've seen the ending of Old Yeller," James looked back at him, removing the hands from his ears, "I love that movie."

Petunia cringed at his words.

He saw that look.

"What?" He questioned, seeing as she bit back her lip, "What — why that face?"

"This is just my face."

He looked unconvinced.

"You're lying."

She tried to look offended.

"I... never... lie."

"You just did it again!"

She cursed to herself.

"How about we just... do the thing now," Peter tried to reason, seeing the panicked look on James's face, "Turn into a stag."

He shook his head.

"What happens at the end?"

Petunia and Peter share a look.

"Uhm," her voice spared, looking at Peter for any sort of help. He simply shook his head, putting his hands up in defense as he took a step back. "Uh," She thought out, avoiding the look James was currently giving her.

"I will.. tell you," Her eyes met his own, "If you just.. transform first," She stated shortly, "And you have to promise not to cry."

"Why would I cry?"

"How did the movie end for you?"

"It was happy..."

silence.

"Don't cry."

James cried.

And when Petunia decided to explain what she said earlier about Bambi, she was surprised to see that the boy could, in fact, cry harder at the news.

Peter gently patted his back.

And although he said words of encouragement, trying to make the other feel better — Petunia could see him trying to hold back his laugh, his words growing quieter as the snicker escaped out.

petunia shot him a glare.

P.EVANS + J.POTTER