Chapter 25 - That's what Friends are for

It was nightfall when Luke Skywalker left Nomi's quarters after giving Fuzzy the order to keep watch. The faithful astromech responded with affirmative beeps and the Jedi was sure that he could rely on him.
Nomi was still in a state of shock, unable to cope with what had happened. Fuzzy rolled over to her and beeped questioning. The young woman looked up and wiped her tears.
"No, there is nothing you can do for me," she said silently, stood up and walked over to the refresher.
Fuzzy followed and squeezed after her in the small room. Nomi turned and raised an eyebrow.
"What are you doing, Fuzzy?"
The droid gave a stream of beeps and whistles, trying to explain why he was following her. Nomi didn't understand anything and shrugged.
"Listen, little nagger, I don't know why you are doing this, but to follow me in the refresher isn't necessary," she said with a sigh and began to prepare for the night.
Shortly after, the young woman walked back in her room, entered the cot and slid under the blanket. She curled up and closed her eyes, while Fuzzy went into position at her bedside. He would watch Nomi's every movement and alert her friends if anything would happen out of the usual parameters.
Sleep was avoiding the Rogue Squadron pilot for a long time until she eventually fell in a fitful one.

When Nomi woke the next morning, she smelled the scent of caf. Slowly she opened her eyes and saw her little brother standing there with a steaming mug in his hand.
"I thought, I should look after you, Sis," he said with a concerned expression.
Fuzzy realized that he wasn't necessary any longer with a human being there and rolled towards the loading station to recharge.
Gavin's sister sat up and pulled the blanket around her, before she reached out for the mug.
"Thank you, Gavin. But there is no need to pamper..."
She didn't finish the sentence, pressed a hand against her mouth and ran in the refresher. Seconds later her brother heard noises as if she threw up. When she came back he looked at her questioningly.
"The food I had yesterday must have been spoiled," Nomi replied and wiped her mouth. "It might be better to have some Blum fruit tea instead of caf."
The young man nodded his head thoughtfully.
"Or it is because of what happened to Dash," as soon as the words were spoken, he regretted it, as he looked at his sister's face. She was pale like the blanket which was wrapped around her body and tears were on the brink of falling. How could he be such an idiot and remind her of her loss? The young pilot approached his sister and took her in his arms.
"I'm so sorry, Nomi," he said silently, as she sobbed and leaned her head against his chest. Gavin's shirt got wet by her tears, which were running down her cheeks, but he didn't care.
He was holding her in the embrace, until she began to calm down.
"You should take a shower and dress. I'll prepare something to eat and tea in the meantime."
Nomi nodded her head, as her little brother released her out of his arms. She noticed how hungry she was. Slowly she walked over to the refresher, dropped the blanket and walked in the shower. It didn't take long and she came back, dressed in a jumpsuit. Gavin smiled at his sister, as she sat down at the table and began to eat slowly, downing the bites with tea. When she had finished her meal, she leaned back at the chair, after she poured another mug of tea.
"Thank you, Gavin," she said with a smile which didn't reach her eyes. There was only sadness and grief. But this was all too understandable, since it was still fresh.

Nomi had just finished her meal when she heard a knock at the door. Her brother stood up to answer it. As he opened the door, Tarik was standing there. The young man made way for the winged alien so he could enter. When he saw Nomi, Tarik hung his wings. He felt pity for his friend and was miserable as he remembered how much he had disliked Nomi's relationship to the mercenary. He had never noticed how deep the young woman's love went. Totally unable to cope with the situation, he stood still in the door frame.
"Come in, Tarik. Do you want some caf or Blum fruit tea?" Gavin asked, to relieve the tension.
The alien shook his head and finally entered the room. He walked over to Nomi, took her hand and cleared his throat.
"I'm so sorry for your loss, my friend," he said silently, putting all his sympathy in the words.
Nomi looked up at her friend, who had shared so much with her in the past and who followed her when she joined the Alliance. She knew that Dash wasn't held in high esteem if it came to Tarik. Therefore she valued her friend's words even more.
"Thank you, Tarik," Nomi responded. "All of you are so kind to me."
She sighed and wiped a tear which had just escaped.
"I don't know what I would do without you. Thank you for being there for me."
Tarik was still holding her hand, squeezing it.
"That's what friends are for, Nomi," he said and noticed how pale his old friend was.
The former smuggler bent down and took Nomi in an embrace. Then he straightened again.
"I'm sorry, but I must leave. Wedge scheduled a simulator training I have to attend. But I'll be back after the training."
The pilot nodded to Gavin, walked over to the door and left. He knew that there was a time for grief, but there would also come a time where Nomi's grief would cease. Tarik hoped it would be soon.