nine

Lily's body was full of adrenaline. The cold night air was biting at her skin and made her throat dry as she heaved heavily from running throughout the castle.

It wasn't exactly time for curfew, but the sun had set quickly without notice, as it was winter. She would have to be quick before curfew was set in place or else she would get detention.

There was no where she could specifically think Effie would go. Although they had gotten close and spent time together, Lily did not know everything about her.

She had spent most of her time watching and crushing on Effie from afar, which only begun because of how beautiful she was.

It was idiotic for Lily to even fathom the thought of being in love with Effie, but what she was feeling was no joke. Out of all the girls at Hogwarts, Effie was the one she was drawn to, and it had nothing to do with her birthright. It had everything to do with the person Effie was.

Speaking of birthright, an idea popped into Lily's head as she thought about Effie. While she knew Effie wasn't fond of talking about herself, especially when it came to her childhood, Lily had an inkling the Black Lake was a good spot to investigate.

Lily was right - and she usually was. Effie's feet were dipped in the shallow ends of the lake, making sure that she was not too far in. Her blood was stained, after all. She was not just a human. She was a witch with the blood of a mermaid. It was taboo for merpeople to be with humans, whether it was consensual or not. If Effie went any deeper into the lake, the merpeople would know her stench and drag her to the bottom, never to be seen again.

"What are you doing here?" Effie asked.

She did not even glance behind her to look at Lily. She continued to stare ahead at the moon and the still waters of the lake. Lily cautiously approached her and sat next to her, a few feet away as to give her personal space.

"I'm sorry," said Lily.

"Whatever for?"

"I'm sorry for not answering your question back then. I'm sorry for hesitating."

Effie said nothing in response.

"I've just formally met you," said Lily. "But I've known of you for years and I've always wanted to talk to you for years. I've never loved this hard before or loved anyone that was not a family member, but I feel some sort of way with you, Effie."

"And what way would that be?"

"I think... I think I love you."

"What... What is love? What does it feel like?" asked Effie.

"I'm not sure," Lily answered truthfully. "I've never wanted to be with anyone before you. But I want to spend time with you. I want to read with you, study with you, listen to music with you. I want to experience new things with you - things that make me terrified as all hell. I want to cry with you and be happy with you. I want to be with you."

Effie finally looked at Lily. Her eyes were glistening, and Lily could tell she was on the verge of tears. Yet, she did not move closer. She was being respectful of Effie's space and feelings.

"Then maybe I love you too," said Effie.

"What? Really?"

Effie nodded. "I've never known anyone before you. I've never gotten close to anyone before you. I never wanted to. But you kept coming. You kept approaching me and in the process of befriending me, I've realized that I enjoyed your company until I realized that perhaps I enjoyed it a bit too much. So yes, I think I love you too. Why don't we find out together if it's true?"

Lily smiled with small tears in the corners of her eyes. "I would love that."