。ten 。

♡

a truck beeped as it backed up by the elevator that seemed to be carrying boxes, rain pouring down. steve, dustin, robin and adella were all on a higher roof, watching them. dustin held binoculars to his eyes as they waited.

"look for imperial panda and kaufman shoes." robin ordered over the sound of the loud rain.

"they're with that whistling guy, 10 o'clock." dustin told them as adella pushed some wet hair from her cheeks, wiping her eyes.

"what do you think's in there?" steve questioned.

"guns, bombs?" dustin guessed.

"chemical weapons?" both robin and adella suggested, glancing at one another with small smiles.

"whatever it is, they're armed to the teeth." dustin added.

"great." steve said sarcastically as thunder clapped. "that's great."

a man opened the door with his keycard and robin spoke again, "hey, what's in there?"

"it's just more boxes." dustin answered.

"let me check it out." steve mused, trying to snatch the binoculars from the younger boy.

"no, i'm still looking." dustin denied.

"lemme see it." steve ordered.

"hang on!" dustin shot back and then they made a loud clanging noise making the guards look up. "duck!"

fingers linked with adella's as she ducked down with the other three. she glanced at her hand and then at robin who gulped, looking at their linked fingers with red cheeks. they slowly let go of one another's hands, sharing another flustered gaze.

"c'mon." steve mumbled and they all stood up, making their way back into the mall.

they walked down a corridor and robin turned to steve, "well, i think we found your russians."

"or just a group of bilingual people, but i find that unlikely now." adella breathed, her hair drippings across the floor. "what do you think they're doing?"

"it can't be good, whatever it is." robin mumbled, falling into step with her while dustin and steve were walking ahead. "i mean, russians randomly appearing in hawkins of all places? there's gotta be something deeper."

"maybe." adella nodded, knowing it could be many things.

the facts she was thinking seemed almost far fetched, but then again, anything could b possible from what she'd witnessed many times over. the thought of the russians knowing about the upside down passed through her mind but as quick as it entered, it went because how could they possibly know?

"we have to make a plan if we're gonna continue with this." adella mumbled to robin.

"is that really a wise idea? i've not had many run-ins with the russians, but i know for a fact they aren't nice to people who try and get into their business. i think it'd be safer to jump off a cliff into a lake made of ice! if we do this, we might be turned into snow-shivering slaves, living off of vodka and... i don't know what russians eat, but they do drink vodka! if we die-"

"robin." adella cut her off with a small laugh.

"sorry, i ramble sometimes when i'm nervous or around people i like- as friends, of course!" robin continued, waving her hands slightly. "i do this all the time, this is normal behaviour for me.  i really, really can't control it. it's like when you have an itch on your back that you can't reach but you keep trying to, even though you know your arms won't grow any longer because it's impossible: the human body doesn't stretch that way. and if it did, oh my god-"

"robin!" adella said louder, gently grabbing her arm and robin pressed her lips together. "we're not gonna die, or live off vodka or turn into snow-shovelling slaves. also, don't apologise, it's endearing. and 'oh my god' is exactly what i think to the human body being able to stretch that way."

robin exhaled shakily, "yeah, we'll live. possibly. and sorry, again."

"like i said, don't apologise." adella chuckled as they left the mall. "i'll see you tomorrow!"

"bye!" robin called, waving her hand at her side as adella grinned at her before running to her car. "i'm like a can of worms."

{685}