Part 20

Sana's P.O.V. 

I reached outside and served lunch to everyone. "Why are your clothes wet?" Preetoji asked. "She fights like a wild cat," Sidharth said coming behind me. How can he act normal after what he just did? He smiled at me and took the plate from my hand. He took the spoon from my hand and took his plate of food and went to eat. I rolled my eyes and remained quiet since I didn't want anyone to know. "I'll go and change my top," I said. "Eat first and then go," Roopaji said. "I'm feeling uncomfortable. It will only take a minute," I said and glanced at Sidharth and left. I went to my room, pulled out my suitcase and looked through my clothes. I got one top and changed before going back. Taking my plate of food, I sat away from everyone with my phone just so I didn't have to watch or hear Sidharth. I began scrolling through my social media messages with people asking me about my whereabouts since I wasn't active as usual. I ignored all the messages and came across Abhi's. Even if I don't reply to anyone's messages, I always did his. One notification popped up and it said that Sidharth followed me. I frowned and looked at him as his stare bore holes into me. Feeling intimidated, I looked back at my phone and without accepting or declining the request, I turned off my phone and ate quietly. He wanted to think that I am avoiding him, right? Well doc, you will get exactly that. Every second you change feelings and come to me to lash out. Your Megha might be ok with this but I am not. I am Sana. If you can throw attitude and burst down on me for nothing, I can too. And I will do it silently so it will drive you more crazy than you already are. He got up with his plate and began walking closer to me. I acted indifferent and continued eating like normal however, deep down inside me, his every step closer stepped up my nervousness. I looked down at my plate and waited for him but he passed me straight and walked away. I sighed the breath I didn't even realise I was holding. 

After lunch, I went to complete washing the remaining clothes and sat down with my hair falling all over my face. Not wanting the soap to go in my hair, I used my shoulder and upper arm to keep pushing it away. Two hands suddenly came and pulled it back. Turning around, I said, "Sidharth..." But saw Roopaji instead. She smiled at me and said, "It's me." "Sorry, I thought it was..." I said. "I understand," she said and grabbed the seat opposite me. "What are you doing? Your knee will pain even more," I said. "It's ok. I have my balm and a personal masseur," she said, "Won't you rub my knee again?" "Of course I will," I said. "Maasi, I am here," Sidharth said coming with a tool box. "Great! Please see what the problem is with this machine. Poor Sana has to wash clothes with her hands. Her beautiful nails are all ruined," she said. I looked at my nails. All the nail polish and my manicure that I had when I came here were all gone. Surprisingly, I smiled and didn't feel angry seeing them. They were the signs of my hardwork that I was doing. "Omg!" Roopaji exclaimed, "I thought you would be over the top angry right now!" I looked at her surprised and smiled saying, "Wow Roopaji! You are talking my language!" She chuckled. I looked at Sidharth and my smile turned upside down. I rolled my eyes at him and continued washing the clothes with her. "Maasi," Sidharth said, "I think I found the problem. Don't worry, I will fix it so that little miss diva here doesn't have to ruin her pedicure." "FYI, it's not a pedicure, it's a manicure. And you don't have to do this and rub it in my face, handyman," I spat. He smirked at me. "Atleast you are talking to me," he said. I rolled my eyes again. "I am going to my room before my pain comes back," Roopaji said getting up. "Where are you going? Stay, please," I said in a pleading manner. I didn't want her to leave me with Sidharth here alone. "My knee will hurt badly if I continue sitting like this. Don't worry, I'll send Daljeet or Preeto to help you," she said. I nodded saying, "Be sure to." 

She left and I looked at Sidharth. He wiped away his sweat on his forehead and removed his shirt. He tied it around his waist and kept his vest on. "Hello, I am sitting down right here. Don't you have any respect?" I said. "Yeah well, it's not like anything you haven't seen before," he said continuing, "In fact, you have seen more." I was embarrassed. I tried hard to not look at his muscular arms but they were too distracting. Glancing at me, he stopped and turned to me with his hands on his waist. I nervously looked away. "Are you checking me out?" He asked. "Are you insane?" I asked blushing. "I'm sure you must have seen many guys without shirts before. Then, why are you being shy in front me? You city girls have seen multiple guys shirtless. Just add me to never ending list," he said turning around. "Ok, first of all, I don't watch guys that are shirtless. Second of all, you are different," I said. He turned back to me and ran his hand through his hair asking, "How am I?" "You are not that hot," I said scrubbing the clothes. "Yeah, I believe you think so," he said sarcastically. "Do you think I have time to sit and stare at you?" I said. "I don't know about you, but other girls have," he said. Gritting my teeth, I asked, "Who?" "I can't name all of them," he said. "That Neha and that Megha?" I asked scoffing. He stayed silent for a while. He sighed and said, "I couldn't come like I said this morning because Neha called me and told me that Megha fell down and hurt her foot. Being a doctor, I was only doing my job when I went to take care of her." "I didn't ask for an explanation," I said pretending to not care. "I don't know why I am even giving you one too. It just feels right," he said. I looked at him taken aback. "You have become one of my best friends and losing you is making me insecure. I lashed out at you before lunch because you weren't willing to listen to me when I wanted to talk to you. I felt horrible when you left the clinic without listening to what I had to say," he said. I was touched and all my anger and annoyance melted away. 

"One more thing," he said, "That night when you overheard me on the phone, I wasn't talking about Megha. You can consider the person my patient who I was talking about. I made a promise to someone's mother that I will take care of her daughter and I will." I smiled, happy to hear this. Not that I didn't want him caring for Megha, I admit that I was a bit jealous. Why? I don't have the answer. I smiled and looked away from him so that he doesn't see. "Are you still angry at me?" He asked. "Yes," I said. "Really? Then, tell me what I can do. I'll do anything for you to talk to me normal again," he said. "Anything?" I asked. "Anything," he said. "I'll think about it," I said. I had to think about something for him to do so that I can tease him for keeping me angry for so long. "When you make up your mind, tell me," he said and continued fixing the washing machine. I continued washing the clothes happier and more merry. I finished it with my new restored energy.

Sidharth's P.O.V. 

After explaining and clearing the air with Sana, I felt light and refreshed. I agreed to do anything she told me and I will. I will do anything she asks me to do for her so that she truly forgives me. Afterall, I also lied to her about Megha to keep the promise I made to her mother. From now on, I will try my best to ensure that she remains happy and I don't upset her. Her happiness was contagious and I wanted it around me all the time. It defeats my tiredness and boosts my energy. I continued fixing the problem I detected in the washing machine and as I was finished, I turned it on and it worked. "Wow! Not bad huh, doc," Sana said coming to me with some water. She handed it to me and I took it saying, "Thank you." "I didn't know you knew this skill as well," she said, "I am highly impressed by you." I smiled. I looked at her nails and the blue nail polish was half washed away and untidy. "Thank you for fixing this for me. You have no idea how much this is going to help me," she said. "Anything for you," I said. She looked at me and smiled. I turned it off and wore my shirt. We both went back in front and met everyone else. "Are you finished?" Roopa Maasi asked. "Yes. I fixed it," I said. "Very good," she said. "I'll go home and take a bath and come back. I have to go and check Megha's foot as well," I said and looked at Sana. She smiled and I was relieved. "I think we should all go and see her. We will meet her mother as well," Roopa Maasi said. I frowned and looked at Sana. "Will you come as well?" I asked. Her smiled slowly got smaller. "I have to prepare something for their snack," she said. "Don't worry. We will have some tea there," Maasi said. I looked at her but she still looked hesitant. "I have some other work to do. I don't think I'll make it," she said, "Excuse me." She turned around and left. I turned and looked at her walking into her room. I needed to go and find out what happened to her and pretended to search for my phone in my pocket. "Oh shoot! I think I left my phone in the back. I'll go get it," I said. I went to Sana's room and looked at her laying on her bed with her earphones on. 

I knocked on the door and she sat up, looking at me. She removed her earphones. "Are you alright?" I asked entering. I sat on her bed. "Yeah, why?" She asked. "I shouldn't have asked you to join the ladies to see Megha?" I asked. She smiled and bent her head saying, "No. I am not angry." "Then, you don't want to meet her?" I asked. "It's not that," she said sighing, "I mean, it's not her. It's..." Her words died out as she looked at me hesitantly. I understood and said, "Her mom." She nodded. "I know that she doesn't like me. She thinks I am a rich spoilt brat. She doesn't think wrong. I am but it's only now this is starting to bother me," she said. "Hey," I said holding her hand, "You don't have to worry about what others think about you. You are special and unique and kind. Everyone that needs to know that, knows. You don't have to care of others opinions." She smiled at me. Sighing, she dropped her shoulders saying, "I always believed that money can buy anything, including respect. The more money you have, the more money you spend, the more respect you get. But after coming here, that has all changed. I now understand that money can't buy respect. It's earned through your behaviour, through your character." I smiled at her realisation. "Not bad for a city girl," I said. She chuckled. "Since you have this realisation, why don't you come out and let people know that you know what earning respect is," I said. "I might do or say something wrong," she said. I tightened my grip on her hand saying, "You won't." She looked at me for a brief minute and then nodded saying, "I want to trust your trust so I will come." I smiled and said, "Great! I'll go home and bathe and change. You also change and we'll go together." She nodded. I got up and left.

_____________________

Hey guys! Hope you enjoyed that update! Please vote, comment and share my story! Here's one thing I want you all to genuinely take away from this chapter, the small talk that Sidharth had with Sana and her realisation. Money cannot buy respect. It's earned and always hard earned. Until next time! Bye!