Chpt 4: Hawkins Lab

My dad and i sat in the morgue in silence. "So... He fell?" i asked quietly. Hopper nodded his head. "I mean, are you sure it's him?" i asked.

"He's wearing the same thing Joyce described when he was reported missing so... Yea, it's him" he said with his head in his hand.

Johnathan walked towards us slowly and sat down. We all sat in silence. What do you even say to someone who's just lost their brother? I'm sorry? Or is that too soon? Am i overthinking this?

"How's your mom doing?" Hopper asked breaking the silence. "I don't know" he replied blankly. "How long has this stuff been going on? With the lights and Will and the... The thing in the wall?" Hopper questioned.

I was beyond confused but i stayed quiet. "Since the first phone call i guess. You know, she's had anxiety problems... In the past. But this... I don't know" Johnathan said with a sigh.

"I'm worried it could be... Ugh i don't know. But she'll  be okay. We'll be okay. My mom, she's tough" Johnathan said.

"Yea she is" Hopper said giving Jonathan a light tap on the back. I gave Johnathan a small reassuring smile.

Suddenly, Joyce ran into the room as the examiner followed her out. "Ma'am, you have to sign this!" the examiner exclaimed. "I don't know what you think that thing is in there, but that is not my son!" Joyce shouted as she walked out the door.

Johnathan ran after her, leaving me and Hopper standing there awkwardly. "Come on kid, i better get you home" he said putting his arm around my shoulder.

"What about school i asked?" i asked. "Uh, not today kid. I don't want you walking home on your own" he said. I found it strange that he was being so tense over a drowning. It was as if he wasn't telling me something.

"Do you think she'll be okay?" i asked as we walked to the truck. Hopper sighed. "I hope so bambi" he said.

Hop dropped me home and i laid down in my bed, thinking about everything that had happened. My dad was always sort of on edge but now, something was off. And it wasn't just Will.

I decided to try and figure out what he was hiding myself. I then remembered Wills file. I ran into his room and grabbed his box of files that he hides in his closet. I scoffed at how much he underestimates me.

I emptied the box and spread everything out on the floor. "Terry Ives?" i said to myself. Why did he have a file about some nut from the 60s? I mean, her child with telepathic abilities was taken from her? Couldn't she think of a more believable story at least?

I looked at the other files and was confused. Why did he have so many files on Hawkins Lab? What did they have to do with Will? Maybe my dad was the nut.

After a couple of hours, i read all the files my dad had collected. Something was off about this lab. Well, that's at least what he thinks.

Suddenly i jumped as the phone rang. I got up and answered it. "Hello" i said angrily. "Joy?" i heard a voice say. I knew that voice. "Steve?" i questioned.

"Look Hopper, i need to talk to you. Like... Now" he said. He sounded anxious. "I'm busy" i said as i was about to hang up the phone. "Wait! Wait! Wait!" he called out.

I put the phone back up against my ear. "It's about Barb" he said. "What?" i replied. "Just... Would you meet me now please!" he shouted. "Fine!... But i need you to drop me off somewhere" i said.