15 : Free Falling

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

━━━━━━ 🌻 ━━━━━━

Mae knows that without a doubt- this is the most awkward moment of her life

Has she ever been more embarrassed in her life than she is now? Nope.

Does she want to run away to a corner and hide forever? Absolutely.

Peter continues to gape at her like a deer in headlights, eyes wide and mouth open as if he is trying to say something but suddenly, his tongue has gone numb. He won't stop staring at her- and not in a way that gives Mae butterflies- this stare makes Mae feel like she's standing alone on a podium with the spotlight on her and a hundred eyes locked on her but she's motionless and awkward and suddenly has stage fright.

Mae wants to explain to Peter why Gwen thinks they're dating, or rather, why Mae told Gwen that they were dating. But she can't when Peter is looking at her like that and definitely not when Gwen is still in the room, her eyes excitedly switching between the 'couple'.

So, Mae should somehow manage to explain everything to Peter whilst Gwen is in the room, albeit quickly, because Sarah told her that her mother wanted to tell her some SHIELD business, and honestly, her incessant need to just have all the answers are taking over the wheel in her mind today.

She resolves to use her facial expressions to explain the situation to the obviously shocked teenager. Peter had told her about his spider tingling or whatever he calls it, so it shouldn't be that hard to convey her message.

She raises her eyebrows, widens her eyes, tilts her head, narrows her eyes, pouts her lips, opens her eyes even wider, scratches her cheek, narrows her eyes again and finally shrugs her shoulders.

That should do it.

Peter's expression doesn't falter though, and that makes Mae kinda worried. "P-Pete?" She calls softly, eyebrows perked expectantly.

Peter still doesn't respond. He reminds her so much of a statue this way- silent, still, speechless- Mae wonders for a second if she should go dump him in a museum or something. Did he even blink the last few seconds?