Part 21

Sana's P.O.V. 

After Sidharth left, I bathe and got ready in a nice dress to go with the ladies to meet Megha. I decided against wearing makeup and opted for my natural, bare skin and glasses instead of contact lens. I combed my hair and wore my high heels and left the room, confident as ever. Everyone looked at me shocked. "I know that you all must be surprised to see me like this but this is the raw Sana Kaur Gill. No makeup, no contact lens, just me," I said. Sidharth came in and looked at me surprised. I smiled at him but he simply stared at me. Trying to get everyone over the fact that I was not wearing makeup, I joked saying, "Come on! You guys saw me without makeup already. Remember? And you burst out in laughter!" "You look beautiful today," Daljeetji said. I smiled as they did one by one. I looked at Sidharth and took a deep breath. "Are you all ready?" He asked looking at everyone. "Yes," they said and began walking out the gate. Out of all, about five of the ladies were going. Sidharth stood by the gate until I reached him. "You look the best I have ever seen you today," he said forcing me to blush. "Shall we?" He said giving me way. I walked ahead and he walked beside me. We didn't say anything to each other but smiled. In less than a minute, we reached Megha's house and I looked at it a little bit nervous. Sidharth held my hand, away from the eyes of everyone and I looked at him taken aback. He nodded reassuring to me and I sighed. Megha's mother and Neha came out, greeting everyone. "Sat Shri Akal," I said joining my palms together. They both looked at me surprised. "Come in," Neha said to me. Turning to Sidharth, she said, "Come." We followed everyone inside and I looked at Megha sitting on the sofa. Sidharth went and sat next to her and she shied as away. I tried to look unbothered but my eyes kept glancing at them as he held her foot on his lap and the ladies chatted with Megha's mother. Neha came to me with a tray of water and I politely refused. 

I was a bit confused though why Neha was serving. "Mumma, I'll go get Megha's medicines. Since Sidharth is here, he will apply it," she said. I was surprised to learn that Neha was Megha's sister. She went away as I digested this fact. I looked around the house and observed the embroidery on the cushion covers. They were beautiful. "Megha did it," her mother said to me sternly. I smiled and said, "They are beautiful." "Thank you," Megha said smiling. "You don't know embroidery, I suppose," Mrs. Singh said. I knew that she will taunt me for this but I said, "No, I don't." I looked at Sidharth, composed with the strength still in me that he instilled. "Would you all like to have some tea?" Neha asked coming back. She handed a balm to Sidharth. "We would love some," Everyone said. "Sana?" Roopaji asked me. I nodded. "I'll make it," Neha said and left. "Can you make tea?" Mrs. Singh asked me. "I can. I just learnt a few days ago," I said. "Wow! Our girls knew since they were babies," she said. I smiled and said, "Well, I had Papa with me and then Jassi." "Oh my!" She exclaimed, "You call your mother by her name!" I chuckled and said, "No aunty, Jassi, is my servant." "Ohh..." she said. "Our Sana is learning everything so quickly. In just a few days, she learnt to cook so many meals, go to the market to buy vegetables, clean, wash, everything," Roopaji said. I looked at Megha as she mentioned the market part. She smiled at me as I frowned. "But I heard that she paid a vendor 1500 for vegetables worth 900," she blurted out. Everyone looked at me. I frowned and bowed my head. "I can't bargain as well as everyone else," I said admitting. "It's ok. It takes time and practice," Sidharth said. I smiled at his support. "Sana is a fast learner, she will get the hang of this in no time," he said. I looked at him as he applied the balm to Megha's foot. She jerked in pain and hissed as she grabbed onto his shirt. Everyone shot their heads to her. "Sorry," she said to Sidharth, letting go of his shirt. Neha came between and blocked them off from my sight. I took a cup of the tea and she moved away. 

I sipped on the tea as I looked at Sidharth and Megha. It was piping hot and burnt my tongue. I quickly rested the cup down and took a glass of water. I took a sip and looked at everyone again looking at me. "Sorry," I said. "How more clumsy can you get?" Mrs. Singh taunted once more. "It's ok. It's a mistake. She wouldn't deliberately drink hot tea to burn her mouth, right?" Sidharth said. He looked at me and asked, "Are you ok?" I nodded. "Are you sure?" He asked. I nodded. "Take your time," he said. I took the cup back and began blowing the tea. My glasses became blurry everytime I did it and I realised how much I used to do this with Papa. I smiled and continued blowing the tea. "Sana," Roopaji said hitting me with her elbow. As I moved my face away from the cup, I saw everyone looking at me yet again. The only amused person was Sidharth as he turned his head to the left, trying to conceal his laugh. "Sorry," I apologised again. This time, I decided to sit mum and do nothing until it was time to go. "So, Sana, what do you do?" Neha asked. "What do you mean?" I asked. "What work do you do?" She asked. "Umm...I don't work anywhere," I said. "So, where do you get money from?" She asked. "I have some trusts in my name and I am the only heir to my parents' company," I said. "You must spend most of your time spending money," she said. I looked at them unbelievable but nodded saying, "Yes." I looked at Sidharth. "I don't think we can blame Sana for something just because she was born in a society different from ours. If she had been born here, she would have been just like Neha and Megha. But that doesn't mean she is less than anyone else. She is just as talented and educated as them. What others take a lifetime to learn, she learns it in a few days merely. That's really commendable as well," he said. I smiled, touched again at his words.