Vernus Amor

[A/N: Hello my lovely readers! Here is the first chapter of A Throne Amongst the Stars! There is a playlist for this book already, titled ATATS, and I'll include the link in the comments. I'm very excited for this book and I hope you enjoy! -K 🖤]
***
The early hours of the morning and breaking peaks of the dawn were silent as I gazed outside of my paned window that I had opened the evening before. I desired the perfect canvas for the night sky, attempting to count the unreachable stars as they hung delicately above me.

I had lost count of the glimmering diamonds against the evening sky as well as losing track of time. Once again, I had persevered and refused to sleep so I could memorize the hypnotizing stars above me.

How could I sleep when the night was more vigorously alive and mysterious than the day?

The stars, planets, moons, and suns would forever be an impossible distance away, and no matter how far I reached or how high I strained, I would never be fully able to experience or witness the extent of my kingdom that I would one day be called to rule.

If I even accepted the throne.

"Good morning, Your Highness." A soft voice beckoned from the entryway of my bedroom threshold.

I peered over my shoulder and smiled kindly, content with who had entered my private quarters. "Good morning, Verum." My maidservant was studying me carefully as she entered my personal quarters. She was middle aged, yet her brown eyes were ethereal and young. Her lengthy raven hair was secured in a simple bun at the nape of her neck. She wore an earthy toned dress, complete with an apron and rolled sleeves. Verum was the sweetest soul on the planet, and from a young age, she had always been there caring for me and lending her shoulder for me to cry on as I matured. "Did you sleep well?"

Verum smiled and nodded timidly. "Yes, ma'am. Thank you. How was your rest? Hopefully you slept through the night?" She inquired, approaching me as my hands continued to incessantly labor in front of me.

"Well, in the 23 years you've been with me, I would have expected you to know better." I giggled playfully. "When the stars reveal themselves..." I bit my lip and glanced out my open window before me, wishing that the rising sun would reverse its responsibility and set as quickly as it had peeked over the distant mountain range, "I must study them. I must watch and admire them. I must...paint them. They fascinate me."

Fascination was an understatement. I was obsessed with the stars. After being ceremoniously trapped by the royal confines and restrictions of the planet, and seeing the same sights daily for nearly a quarter of a century, I desired to break through the barrier of the atmosphere of Interitus.

I desired to be free.

The paintbrush in my hand lowered as I added a final stroke, completing yet another painting of the constellations that would plaster themselves outside of my window. Every night would inspire another painting as each evening was significantly different from the last, and each were unique in its own accord.

"Your Majesty, if I may," Verum cleared her throat and shuffled towards me quietly, "It seems as if the stars aren't the only subject of your skilled paints this time." She motioned to the faint portrait of a blurred face amongst the shadowed clouds of my painting.

I chuckled and placed my brush into the small pot of water on my easel. The faint portrait stared back at me as I tried to determine why he continued to invade my mind during the night. There were no definitive details of his face, only the fact that he was stubbornly insistent on ruining my peaceful dreams. I refused to sleep because of him. "Yes. He plagues my dreams and I can't stand to see him when I sleep. And yet, he has apparently creeped his way into my stars." I sighed in defeat, glancing away from the painting before me. I tapped my chin and abruptly stood from my cushioned seat. "What is on my schedule for today, Verum?"