Water Balloons

Jungkook buried his face in his hands, a shaky breath escaping his lips. You felt as though he was on the verge of tears. Unsure of how to console him, you just awkwardly patted his shoulder.

He slowly looked at you with his eyebrows knitted. "What the fuck are you doing?"

"Trying to comfort you."

"Well, you kinda suck at it," said Jungkook. "No offense."

"Some taken," you grumbled. "I'm never being nice to you again."

"I didn't expect you to be," he chuckled. "But, seriously, thank you for standing up for me earlier. I don't know what I would've done if you hadn't jumped out in front of me."

"As much as I wanted to see you get your ass kicked, you wouldn't have deserved it."

"When would I ever deserve to get my ass kicked?"

"Every fucking day," you stated, walking over to the refrigerator. You got out a beer for Jungkook and a can of Coke for yourself. He seemed surprised when you handed it to him.

"I thought you weren't gonna be nice to me anymore," Jungkook remarked.

"Yeah, well, this is the last time."

After opening the bottle, he took a sip, a smirk dancing across his lips. He then imparted, "You're quite the character, Y/N."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You're just so...bold."

"Is that a compliment or should I be offended?" you jested.

Jungkook shrugged. "Up to you."

"Well," you uttered quietly, "I think you're pretty bold too."

"Not like you though," he admitted. "You haven't given a single fuck about anything since the day I met you."

"Really?"

"Yeah," Jungkook murmured. "Like, remember when Yoongi hyung would get into all those fights when we were younger? You'd jump in the middle of him and the kid he was beating up just like you did today to stop them. You didn't care if you got hurt. You only wanted to protect your older brother."

"I think I was just stupid," you laughed. "It wasn't a good idea to step in between two teenagers who were beating each other to a pulp when I was four years younger than them."

"But that didn't stop you from doing it over and over again."

You giggled. "Y'know what's funny?"

"Hm?"

"You and my brother wouldn't have become friends if it weren't for him kicking your ass."

Back when you were in elementary school, and Jungkook was in middle school, the older man was quite the prankster. He was constantly pulling tricks on people. And you happened to be one of his victims.

The school day had just ended. It was a sunny afternoon, and you were waiting in front of the building for Yoongi to come out and walk you home. All of a sudden, you were soaking wet. A water balloon had been dropped from the roof of the school.

Looking up to decipher who the culprit was, you spotted a boy pointing and laughing at you.

Of course, that boy was Jungkook.

Your brother came out of the school and saw your drenched appearance. Tears were brimming the corners of your eyes. Yoongi lost it at that.

Enraged, he glared at Jungkook who was still laughing before he took off for the stairwell. Yoongi met him on the roof and immediately started hitting Jungkook. Since Yoongi was older than him at the time, he was able to get a few decent punches in. Unfortunately for your brother though, Jungkook studied Taekwondo.