7 || marionette

| CHAPTER SEVEN
| marionette

| CHAPTER SEVEN| marionette

ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀʀɪʟʟᴏ

"There you are," Gen said. "I was getting worried." Her eyes fell on the cupcake with the little birthday candle in it, and they widened.

Nolan handed me the lighter and I lit it.

"Make a wish," I said.

"Oh my god, you had me worrying while you were just looking for a stupid candle?" she asked.

"You have a minute!" I told her. "Make a wish and blow out the 'stupid' candle," ordered, almost pressing the cupcake in her face.

"That's not how to talk to a lady, Oakley," Danny said, putting an arm over her shoulder which she removed dramatically, almost knocking over the cupcake.

"Danny, not cool," I said. He threw his hands up in surrender, and Gen closed her eyes with her hands clasped together before quickly blowing the candle out.

"Done! We only have like a few—"

She was interrupted by one of the dancers staring counting down from ten. Two seconds were wasted on utter confusion, but we all started counting down from the seven second mark.

We waited, looking at the screen as it was still counting down. A simple black text on a white background.

And then the video started.

And it was weird. I didn't expect much else from Gen, but this was probably the weirdest thing I'd heard and seen.

The video mostly consisted of Nolan in a white room with white clothes, performing basic tasks, and failing. Lacking emotions. In fact, he kinda looked like a robot the entire time. 

Then there was the occasional scene where there was some robotic dance Gen performed with her dancers. It almost felt like these people weren't people, and instead were avatars being controlled by someone on the outside.

The music itself started out too fabricated. It was boring and repetitive and... honestly, it kinda sounded like my music, which was quite telling.

I frowned as I tried listening to the lyrics.

Gotta be picture-perfect, no opinion of my own
I'm exactly what you want, aren't I?
I'm exactly what you need, aren't I?

And then the actual chorus kicked in, and the dancers were smashing everything around Nolan up, and he sat there doing nothing. The music had taken a turn, now actually sounding reminiscent of Gen's signature style.

I'm more than just your puppet,
Your doll to throw around
You're just a puppeteer,

The closer the camera got to Nolan's face, the more you could see him fighting back the tears. Almost like seeing straight through him while he was putting up a facade.