Chapter 56

"Hey! Steve!" Dustin exclaimed, a little out of breath as him and Max walked through the doors of Family Video

"This is crazy, isn't it," Steve said, pointing at the news coverage of the trailer park.

"How many phones do you have?" Dustin asked the three workers.

"Someone was murdered," Steve continued.

"How many phones do you have?" Dustin repeated, enunciating each syllable.

"Uh, two," Kim answered. "Why?"

"Technically three, if you count Kieth's in the back," Robin added.

"Yeah, three works," Max nodded.

"What are you d–?" Steve started to ask.

Without explanation Dustin slide over to counter to join Steve, Kim, and Robin on the other side, Max following behind him.

The three older teens protested as they knocked over stacks of movies on their way to the computer and a phone.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Kim questioned.

"Setting up base of operations here," Dustin answered unhelpfully.

"Base of operations?" Robin asked.

"Get off the computer," Steve said.

"I need it!"

"Need it for what?"

"Eddie's friends' phone numbers," Dustin replied, still not fully explaining himself.

"Oh, Eddie," Steve scoffed. "Your new best friend you think is cooler than me because he plays your nerdy game?"

"I never said that," Dustin responded.

Robin groaned from over by the mess Max and Dustin had made when they jumped over the counter. "Seriously, you guys, maybe on a Monday you guys can play around in here like toddlers, but it's Saturday. It's our busiest day."

"Alright, Robin, I empathize, but this cannot wait until Monday," Dustin said.

"What, just calling all of Eddie's friends is an emergency?" Robin scoffed.

"Correct!" Dustin yelled.

"Do you want me to strangle him or do either of you want to?" Steve whispered to Robin and Kimmy.

"We can take turns," Robin replied.

"I call going first," Kim added, helping Robin clean up. "Max, since my brother is being so incredibly helpful, would you be so kind as to tell us what the hell is going on?"

Max took a deep breath before starting to explain everything from seeing Chrissy go into Eddie's trailer the previous night, to the lights flickering, right up to seeing Chrissy's mangled body through the open door.