ɪɴᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴇʀᴘᴇɴᴛꜱ ᴅᴇɴ

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 : 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐏𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐒 𝐃𝐄𝐍

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The onyx sky lay overhead as primeval chaos unfurls its plan within the stars. A million lights, a million souls, and a million wishes all looking down with its scornful eye.

And while many of the humans have left during this somber time, content with shutting their eyes and letting the slow skein of time bring them to the next dawn, I've chosen to look up and follow my fate to the end of my time.

I've ventured out of the town square, through shady alleyways, and decrepit corners to what looks like the fields of asphodel. A burnt red, similar to rusted blood, cover the ground with no shred of green but patches of grey foliage. If I had to guess, this is the part of the demon realm they don't show on the travel pamphlets.

This leaden landscape has no wood, no stream, nor mark of life. It's been maddening silence to the point I contemplate shouting into the sky to see if anything would respond back. Despite this, I still feel an eerie shadow clinging to my back, and pardon the temporary insanity, but I swear I hear two sets of footsteps out here.

Though it seems I've landed myself in the middle of Hell, the area must be an arctic dearth as my fingers tremble while the cold night cuts its razor edge into me. I shove the riddle underneath my sleeve as I try to preserve as much of my body heat as possible.

The Archer will lead you most of the way

Stay on your path, do not stray

And, trust me, on this path I have stayed. Even though the ache in my bones, the hunger in my stomach, and the heavyweights on my eyelids begging my brain to let them shut. Thankfully, the constant shivering has kept me awake, but with no obvious landmarks, I can't tell how much time has passed from when I started.

Do you think the Sakamaki's have noticed that I'm not coming back? Have they accepted it already?

My jaw clenches as my thoughts drift to Yui. God, she must be in pieces because of this. She told me that she wanted to protect me, and then I lied to her telling her everything was going to be fine when it obviously was not. We were supposed to be partners in crime, two humans with all odds stacked against them, but still, we have each other. And that would be enough. No vampire, or demon, not even Karlheinz himself was supposed to bring us apart.

But I had to look into her eyes, and rip us apart myself.

Nothing could soften the sheer brilliance of her eyes. How can one girl's eyes reflect the aurora of a million stars? How could it capture my gaze and never let go? How can she look at me as if I'm something worthwhile?