i. say no to a scare

CHAPTER I:
say no to a scare

CHAPTER I: say no to a scare

( June 1985 )

      BEATRICE HAD BEEN WORKING AWAY ON YET ANOTHER HOT JUNE DAY

      BEATRICE HAD BEEN WORKING AWAY ON YET ANOTHER HOT JUNE DAY. The day being Saturday caused a rush of customers during her shift so she would be tending to the cash register at a constant rate with no breathing room.

And then came Steve Harrington; perfect hair and perfect smile in his Scoops Ahoy uniform. Bea thanked God every day that she never had a uniform and then thanked him again that Steve had one. It was really working for him in her eyes, dating or not.

Thumping his hands on the counter she had been standing at, Steve grinned at her and she just knew he was up to something. "Are you a camera, because every time I look at you I smile," he put his head in his palm while watching her work away.

      She poorly contained her smile at the terrible pickup line, "where'd you get that one? A milk carton?"

      "No actually, this one was from a magazine," he admitted.

      "So The Hair reads, I'm so proud, Steven." He rolled his eyes at the two names. "Now, what is it that you want?"

      "You," he pointed his index at her and she raised her brows thinking he was stopping there, "me," he pointed his thumb at himself, "and two of my friends that you don't know, are going on a date."

      Stopping the work she had been doing, she turned to him and leaned forward on the counter. "A date and finding out you have friends, wow, today is just full of surprises," she teased. "But I'm not going."

Steve groaned ducking his head down on the counter, "come on, Bea. How exactly are people supposed to know we're dating if we've never gone on a single date?"

"We've only been doing this for a week, Steven. And can't we just lie and say that we do?" she reasoned. Bea then took his hands into her own and gently moved him over to the side to tend to a customer.

      "No, someone actually has to see us on these dates to spread the word."

      "Spread the word? Bea the Bumble Bee and Steve the hair Harrington spotted at local store holding hands! I can just hear the gasps," she sarcastically said. "Ignore the name."

      "You can pick the movie," Steve bargained.

      While saying goodbye to the customer, she gave him a look as if asking if he were telling the truth. He caught the look and nodded assuring her. "Nightmare On Elm Street," she said with a beaming smile. What a surprise. Steve Harrington had actually made Beatrice Martin genuinely smile. He thought it was quite nice then remembered his avoidance of the horror genre.

      "Mm, pick something else, anything else," he pleaded.

      "Oh, come on, Pretty Boy," she got up close to his face putting her hands over his, "live a little." Pretty Boy? She thought he was pretty?

Steve never did well with close proximity to girls. It always made him squirm and feel the need to lean in. But with Beatrice so close that his vision made her blurry? He was doomed if this would continue. Which he most definitely was doomed because she seemed to get up close and personal with him on multiple occasions. So how could he say no?

"Fine."

Steve watched as her grin grew to create creases in the corners of her eyes. She impulsively kissed his cheek in celebration, "you're the best boyfriend I've ever had!" He was the only boyfriend she had ever had.

He put a hand to cup around his ear, "Sorry, what was that?" Bea's smile dropped instantly.

"You ruined it. Get out."