thirty-six

Mrs Ahn walked back and forth, waiting for Jungwon and Bina to come out of the room. To her surprise, Daeun appeared, walking towards her with her hand intertwined with Sunghoon's.

"Mom," she greeted and gave Mrs Ahn a tight hug. Mrs Ahn looked at Sunghoon as he bowed at her out of respect, "Mrs Ahn."

"Your father is inside. You can go in," the older woman said and watched as her daughter entered the room.

Daeun stopped when she saw Bina standing at the corner of the room. Her cousin looked away awkwardly and cleared her throat. Jungwon frowned when he saw Sunghoon, the flashbacks of the horrifying memory started appearing in his mind.

Mr Ahn examined them and sighed, "What's with this awkward atmosphere? I don't like it. Relax yourselves a bit."

Daeun gave one last glare to Bina before approaching her father's bed. "Hey, dad," she said before sitting next to Jungwon.

"It's not safe anymore, Daeun-ah. I know how exposed I am to danger but I never knew the day where I'll probably be killed will come."

"Don't say that, dad. Areum said she will investigate it, right?"

"For the time being, I want you to stay at home. I'll have bodyguards protect you. And they will also guard your house."

His daughter frowned, "Dad, please no. I can take care of myself. I have Sunghoon. I have Jungwon. I even have Areum checking up on me most of the time. I'm fine."

Sunghoon approached him, "I'll make sure she's safe, Mr Ahn."

Bina watched them silently and laughed at herself for being so stupid. Her cousin looked so happy with Sunghoon. She wasn't that happy when she was with Doyun.

Jungwon noticed Bina's expression and got up to stand next to her, "Now you realise how happy your cousin is. After all the trauma she's been through, I don't want you to ruin her relationship. Move on."

His words were harsh but true. She nodded, "I will."

They both quietly left the room, leaving their uncle with his daughter.

Mrs Ahn instantly stood up from the bench when she saw them, "Are you leaving already?"

"Yeah, my mom would be worried if I'm not home by now," Bina chuckled awkwardly. Jungwon bowed at his aunt, "I'll be leaving now, Aunt Yejin. Make sure to eat well."

"Bye, kids," Mrs Ahn waved at them.

Areum ate her noodles silently in the office as she read a few case files. She realised her noodles had finished when there was only soup in the bowl. She held her belly and pouted, "You're the reason I'm still hungry kiddo."

Ni-ki walked into the office out of the blue with a frown on his face. He approached her desk and folded his arms, "The hitman won't confess."

She sighed out of annoyance and grabbed her gun before leaving the office, the male detective following from behind. They both barged into the dark interrogation room and sat across from the hitman.

The hitman was smirking mischievously, "You look nice today, Detective Jung."

"We just want to know who the hell hired you to assassinate the president."

"And I'm not telling you," the hitman added snarkily. Ni-ki snatched the gun from Areum and pointed it at him, "Listen here, bastard. I am losing my patience. Your punishment later is being hung to death. So if I kill you right now, it won't make any difference."

"It's not confirmed yet. Mr Ahn might change his mind about the punishment. But if you won't tell us the culprit, I will make him hang you to death," she said.

The hitman spat on her face, "I'm gonna die anyway so why should I tell you?"

Areum wiped her face with a tissue and took the gun before shooting his arm. "You shot me! You can't do that!" He yelled angrily as he held his arm in pain.

"Yes, I can. The president said I can do whatever I want as long as you confess who hired you to kill him. I won't let you die so easily, you dumb jerk. I will torture you every time you won't confess."

"I will shoot your hands, your arms, your legs, your everything. And I will not let any paramedics help you treat your wound. I will let you bleed here in this dark room until you become miserable. Mark my words. So if you want to be annoying and not confess, I should start torturing you now."

The hitman gulped in fear, "It was Mr Ha. Mr Ha Doyun," he said as his voice trembled.

Ni-ki scoffed, "I knew it!"

"But he was ordered to see me. I don't know who paid him to see me. Mr Ha said I didn't need to know who ordered him."

Areum nodded, "Take good care of him, Ni-ki. I'm seeing Doyun now."

She left the room, leaving the male detective with the hitman. He leaned against the wall and folded his arms, "You know you're annoying right? Do you want me to call someone to treat your wound?"

"Please do," the hitman said shyly. "What a loser," the detective scoffed before leaving the room.