thirty-seven

Sunghoon continued walking ahead of Daeun as they both headed to his car. She stopped walking and smiled, "Let's go somewhere, Sunghoon."

He stopped and turned around, "Where?"

She approached him slowly and held his hand, "We never had a proper date before. I'll drive," she said before taking the car keys from him.

They both got into the car and he put on his seatbelt. She glared at him, "You're so dramatic. I am not a careless driver."

"I'm just taking care of my safety," he scoffed and looked at the view outside the window. She rolled her eyes and stepped on the pedal out of the blue, making him shocked.

"Where are we?" He asked as she led him to a hotel rooftop. There was a big white circle on the ground with the letter H in the middle. His jaw dropped when a helicopter flew towards them. The flying vehicle landed perfectly in the middle of the circle and the pilot got out to greet them.

"Nice to see you again, Ms Ahn! The last time I saw you, you were six! You're so tall now," the pilot exclaimed happily.

"I'm with my boyfriend today. Can you please take us to the usual restaurant?"

"Anything for you, Ms Ahn."

Sunghoon grabbed his girlfriend's arm hesitantly, "Daeun-ah."

"You don't have to worry about the price and all that. My family owns the helicopter. Or do you prefer boarding a plane? My family also owns a few planes–"

"No, it's not that. You're doing so much for me and I haven't even done anything for you yet."

She caressed his hand, "I don't mind. As long as you're with me, you've done enough."

He smiled softly and pulled her into a quick kiss before helping her get on the helicopter.

Areum entered her house, seeing Heeseung watching TV. Her husband immediately stood up as soon as he saw her. He pulled her into his warm embrace and closed his eyes, "I've been worried sick! Where have you been?"

"I have some work to handle at the office," she raised her hand to pat his back, feeling his warmth comforting her. She then pulled away and asked, "Can I ask you a favour?"

He hummed in response and sat back on the couch. She plopped herself next to him and let him wrap his arms around her. "I need you to come with me. To see someone."

"Who?"

"A culprit."

He frowned, "You're pregnant, Areum. I'm not letting you do something that will probably cost you your life."

"But it's my job, Heeseung. And I have to see him. Or else, we won't know who tried to kill the president. Daeun's life is probably at risk too."

"Can't you just let your colleagues handle it? Why do you have to handle everything?"

"Because I'm their team leader. I can't just order everyone around and not do anything. I have to do something first before ordering them. That's what a leader has to do."

"But you're pregnant. That's an exception."

"That's why I want you to come with me. Just in case. I know you won't like it if I go alone so I want you to come with me to make sure I'm doing just fine. Please?"

He sighed, "Only this time. I actually have a favour too. And I hope you can fulfil it."

"What is it?"

"I want you to quit being a detective."

Her smile slowly turned into a frown. Her heart dropped at his sudden request. She backed away from him, "What?"

"Being a detective is hard for you, Areum. Your life is always at risk. I can't have you making more enemies. I can't live my life thinking about whether you're safe or not every day."

"I love my job, Heeseung. I worked hard to be a detective. I have solved many cases and it made me happy."

"Remember what happened before? You almost got killed. Thank God I was there to protect you. And I was hospitalised for days."

He walked towards her and held both of her hands, "Just listen to me, Areum. I'll pay for everything. You just have to stay home and take care of yourself and the baby. Our baby. If you want anything, just tell me. If you want to go shopping or something, I'll tell Daera to go with you."

She lowered her gaze, disappointed at him. "You don't understand, Heeseung. I love my job. Like how you love saving people, I love saving people too. I love making sure that the bad guys are caught so that there will be no more danger."

She freed her hand and rushed to the door, "I'm disappointed in you, Heeseung."