xxviii. the monster and the superheros

Dr

Dr. Sam Owens received a Government visit regarding Eleven, Five, Nine, and Twelve. Now, he sits in the living room, engrossed in pictures of Chrissy Cunningham.

"There was no signs of any attacker. No bruises. No signs of any struggle. It's as if her attacker was a ghost. Does this remind you of anything, doctor?"

"No, it doesn't."

"Are you sure?"

Sam furrowed his eyebrows. "Why are you here? Really."

"I'd like your opinion."

"I was fired, in case you forgot," he pointed out, tossing the pictures onto the table. "A foreign government invaded our country, all under your watch. There had to be consequences. Certainly, you understand that."

"What I understand is that something... something is going on in that town that nobody fully comprehends," Sam informed the man as he stood up. "And I also understand that military strength is not the answer."

"So what is the answer, doctor? More scientists? Because it was men of science, men like you, who created this problem in the first place," the man said, handing four photos to Sam Owens.

The photos unveil a grim chronicle – Eleven undergoing testing with a shaved head, Five wreaking havoc in a classroom upon initial lab entry, Nine facing trial for a near-fatal incident, and Twelve marking her debut in taking a life. Each image tells a story of the complex and troubled origins of these individuals.

"Everything that has happened in Hawkins can be traced back to Brennar's little pets. Wouldn't you agree?"

Sam returned the pictures to the man, exchanging them for another set depicting the victims of Eleven, Nine, and Five. "Dr. Brennar trained them for this very thing – remote assassinations," the fbi agent revealed, shedding light on a dark aspect of their past.

"What you're suggesting is impossible."

"Is it?"

"Eleven is dead. Nine ran off to some unknown place and Five helped him escaped after someone let her out of the lab. The two of them look completely different now and Twelve is being trained by her father— which you should know about."

"I'm not convinced. I also got an video clip from a store in California of Five appearing out of nowhere getting sour milk. Couldn't get her full face, but we know it's her. With Twelve, I know what's shes up to and she recently disappeared."

"Okay so, where has Eleven been? Hm? What about Nine and Five? Oh, and, you lost Twelve?"

"There are rumors Eleven's alive and Nine has been with her this whole time. They are twins in fact, they could have telepathy abilities and they're receiving help from someone on the inside."

"Are you saying I'm helping them? Is that what you're saying?"

"If I wanted to chat, doctro, I would've picked up the goddamn phone. Now, you can make this easy and tell us where they are, or.. we can do this the hard way."