𝚝𝚠𝚘

Girls Just Want To Have Fun

"And hide her away from the rest o' the world„

1:53 ───ㅇ───── 4:26

"You're late."

Max popped her foot on her skateboard's tail, flipping it up for her to grab. Her jawline clenched from the impatient chewing of her own tongue, eyebrows furrowed lowly. Y/N apologetically smiled at the younger teen before reasoning, "I had a run-in with someone." Max joined her friend on the side with her arms closed off, "Jason's bothering you again?" She scoffed.

Jason Carver. The blatant name drop had her inwardly cringing, for any listening passenger could sing praises about the self-proclaimed star athlete. As optimistic as his ambitions were, he was that person who only really peaked in high school with his fleeting youth. Spoiled rotten, babied by his peers. In a way, he was the next Steve⁠- the Steve before Nancy dumped him. Arrogant and a bully.

Yet why was it that Jason, a person obsessed with keeping his ass on the top of the social pyramid, always finds the time to irritate her? Their relationship, if you could even call it that, makes less sense than a pig on skates. One minute, he would leave daffodils on her porch, and the next, he would sneer at the mere sight of her.

Alas, it wasn't Jason who "blessed" her with his presence.

"No, someone new." Well, 'new' wasn't really the word you used for anyone who resides in the armpits of Indiana. The motto stands⁠- most were born in this town and would probably die here as well. Then again, the hellfire's ring leader was a stranger to her ten minutes ago. "Eddie Munson, you heard of him?" Brown curls, a devious smirk, and pants tighter than a Victorian corset. Max kicked a stray rock, the soles of her sneakers scratching with the rough pavement, "Duh, Dustin and Mike have been hanging out with him." They were all committed to their little club; wearing personalized merch and looking like a teenage cult. "Lucas is too but I don't really know," She continued with a frosty smile.

As much as the two tried to ignore it, the breakup still has a lingering sour taste to it. The group was never really the same ever since star court. Mike and Dustin stuck together yet Lucas hoped he could climb the hierarchy. He was stuck between two worlds⁠- one that deems him a loser and the other a socially accepted nobody. He wasn't the best player on the team; he only really did stop the bullying for himself, having the dignity of a lowly benchwarmer.

Max, however, changed the most. Her optimistic smile died and she started covering herself more. She separated herself from almost everyone... key word, almost. Max looked at the older teen beside her, prying plywood off a shattered window. "After you," Y/N smirked, throwing the splintered plank to the ground.

Star court- where the bad memories overshadowed the good ones. The neon lights were stripped off, the once clean walls subtly peeked through the countless messy graffiti, and the floor had muddy footprints all over it. This is where it all happened, the night that took so much from her and her friends.

A sharp pain shot through her skull, Max winced and held a fist up to her copper hair. Y/N frowned, touching Max's elbow. "We don't have to do this, you know." Max shook her head and bit back, "It'll get easier." A lie. They've been doing this once a month and it never did. It still held the type of fear that churns you from inside. Like the monster under your bed, the lightning strikes during the storm. You never really know when a shadowed hand grabs you from behind and sink its pointed teeth in your skin.

"Besides Ms. Kelly said something about exposure therapy." Max's voice echoed and it was only wondered how loud they could scream to break the walls. Y/N scoffed, "Didn't she specifically say that you should do it with a professional around?" Her rebuttal wasn't met when they reached the center of the court. Both held their breaths as they saw the haunting trace of what really occurred.

The dried blood on the tiles.

Max lowered her skateboard and sat on it while Y/N remained standing with her breath stuck in her throat, wrangling to break free. "It's ironic, isn't it?" Max broke the silence as she wrapped her arms around herself. "I hated him," She frowned. "And I hated you." Fate was twisted, it bound the both of them together when they screamed for his name that very night.

"Yeah, it is." That's all Y/N could say as she stared blankly at the blood.

☁︎

Her parents are as predictable as one can get. They were simply gears programmed to do the basic mundane things, it wasn't long for Y/N to memorize what time was best to sneak back in. But it was 5:30 and the air was chilling- her father wasn't done mindlessly flicking through their television channels and her mother was upstairs flipping pages. Y/N pulled the fabric of her clothes closer to her frame, hoping to trap enough heat.

It wasn't worth waiting 20 minutes for her mother to come downstairs for dinner preparation. Y/N looked up at her window, her desk lamp remained lit. "Fuck it." Freezing to death wasn't much of an option when the risks of sneaking in right now weren't that high. Fingertips pressed against the barks, she holstered herself up to the nearest sturdy branch.

After a few seconds of prying her window open; she stumbled inside. She crawled on her desk and onto her bed with no regard for her now trampled assignments. Ms. Clarington was a hard woman to please and a whole lot easier to piss off. Y/N figured that the crumpled paper is nothing compared to the soon big fat red mark her teacher would stamp on.

Despite the stereotypes, Y/N wasn't the brightest bulb nor was her skin yellow. She was... Y/N and to herself? She was more average than average. Another Asian kid pushed into medicine despite the science teachers using her as an example of revolved evolution.

Sitting upright on her bed, she shrugged her sweater off before throwing it into the corner of her room. She pursed her lips in thought- maybe she wasn't really all that average, the large gash on her forearm says otherwise.

Max was right. Before everything else, the two of them weren't exactly the best of buds. After all, you wouldn't like your bully's friend now, would you?