23 - Cold As Ice

"Neo!"

His name isn't even fully out of my mouth before the spell breaks.

The wind that had been whipping through dies down. The fire that danced on the salt dies away without the magic that seeped into the salt, allowing for it to stay contained. Mia no longer whispers the words that would have kept it alive. The magic that had been buzzing through the air dims, leaving only a hum behind it.

Mia sits with her leg clenched to her chest. Even from here I can see the tears that roll down her cheeks.

I shoot off the ground. I clumsily cross the line into the circle, smudging the salt.

Niko doesn't even look up as I move through the grass. He pushes Neo onto the ground before crunching in front of him. His mouth moves in words I can't hear, and all I can do is hope that he isn't using ko'rinmas.

"Niko!" I shout. Ice seeps from my sleeve and down into my hand. I curl my fingers as a knife sharp slice of ice slides into my hand.

I didn't want to be the one to kill Niko, but if I have to protect my friends I will.

He doesn't move from beside Neo as he tilts his head towards me. A wicked sharp smile slithers its way onto his face. "Ready to fight?" he asks.

"Back away from Neo."

He glances between me and Neo. "I don't think I will."

I grit my teeth and move closer to him.

Niko brings his hand that holds my dagger up to Neo's neck. "I would stop there if you want your friend to make it out of this."

I freeze.

I glance at Neo to see if he has a look on his face that says he knows how to get out of this. But what I see shocks me.

He looks... like he's at peace. His eyes are closed, while the rest of his face is slack.

"Neo?" I croak.

He opens his eyes and smiles. "I trust you Lumi."

Tears make my vision swim. He shouldn't trust me. Not at all. Not with my dagger against his neck. So why does he still trust me? Why won't he fight for himself? For Madam Mara? As a knife is being held to his neck, as Mia sits with a sliced leg, as Niko is free... he still trusts me? "How?" I whisper.

Instead of Neo answering Niko laughs. "Trust won't save you. Did trust save Madam Mara? No! It got her killed and us here."

"Don't talk like you care about her!" I scream. Tears drip from my face.

Niko shakes his head. "I did care for her. Until she made it clear that no one would be better than you." His dark eyes seem to shine with a want.

My grip on the ice spike loosens. "Let him go," I grit out.

He shakes his head. "No."

"Why not?"

"Because seeing you in pain is so much better than killing you."

My vision seems to freeze over with anger. All I can see is Niko and his big grin.

Before I know it I'm moving. Moving closer to Niko at lighting speed. Nothing can stop me from killing him.

Before thinking about it I bounce behind him moving my arm with the ice dagger up towards his neck.

But he meets me there instead. And in a blink the dagger cuts into Neo's neck instead of Niko's.

"No!" I yell.