Chapter 6

As I walk towards the elevator, I'm still staring at my phone in disbelief. As much as I know that I'm probably overthinking it, I can't help but wonder why Mateo asked that question. It doesn't make sense. He never really seemed interested in me, so I can't say it's a date. Although, he doesn't show emotion so maybe he is interested? As I ride the elevator up towards my floor, I decide to just do what Catalina said. I'll respond calm and cool, yet still seem somewhat interested. Then, whatever he responds with, that's when I'll decide whether it's a good job to freak out.

Nothing, as far as I know. I'll probably just binge Netflix; why?

As I hit send, the elevator doors open for my floor and walk towards my cubicle. I decide to throw myself in work and forget about everything else. I don't need Mateo to be my distraction about why I can't get my work done, especially since he is the man that can fire me for not getting my work done. I dive right into my work, completely getting lost in everything else. After a few hours, I check the top right corner of my MacBook and notice that it's already 5:45pm. Wow, time flies when you're working, I say to myself with a chuckle as I pack my things up. On my way out, I stop by Catalina's cubicle and see if she's coming home with me -- but she decides to stay after to get some work done. 

Once I'm in the elevator, I check my phone and notice that there are no texts from Mateo. Maybe he got busy, I think to myself as I walk towards the entrance of the building. But once I get there, I notice that it's raining -- down pouring really. I decide that I'll  wait the rain out. I sit in the café stroll on Instagram when someone says something.

"Waiting for the rain?" Mateo says to me as he motions towards the door. He has an emotionless expression on his face, yet I still smile back up at him. He's significantly taller than me, so I have to look straight up to see him.

"Yeah, don't want to ruin my shoes and I usually take the subway to work," I say as I look back down towards my phone and check the time. I'm hoping the weather lightens up soon, otherwise I'll have to run to the subway (and ruin my shoes).

"Well, I drive so I'll give you a ride," He says as he grabs my laptop bag and walks towards the door. I walk after him, trying to insist that I don't need a ride but he doesn't budge. Two minutes later, I'm sitting in the passenger seat of his 2020 Range Rover Discovery -- very comfortable car may I add.

"I've never met someone that has a car in the city, parking is expensive," I say as I fiddle with my hands then look at him. I take this moment to admire him. He has a nice jawline, and his arms are very toned but not overly done. You can tell he works out. He rolled his sleeves up a little bit so I can see some tattoos showing from underneath; I never took him as a tattoo guy. He also wears two silver rings on his right hand, and another ring on his left. I like it, it's nice when guys wear jewelry.

"I travel a lot outside the city, so it makes sense for me to have a car," He says, pulling me out of my train of thought. He keeps driving, never once stopping to look in my direction. I decide to just enjoy this nice car ride and look at the window. The city is so pretty, never fails to amaze me with it's beauty. I love how there are some many different things going on and so many different people to see -- everyone having their own lives. After a few minutes of silence, Mateo coughs and looks at me for a minute.

"Sorry I never answered your message, had some conference calls all day. I wanted to ask you a favor," He says as he makes a turn onto another street.

"What's up?"

"Well, I have a gala/auction to go to tomorrow. And, well it's hard to explain but I'm being auctioned. All the money from the auction go to a charity I support and I offered to auction myself for a date -- before I realized that I don't actually want to go on a date with anyone. Anyways, I was wondering if you could come and bid for me, ultimately win me?" He says as he puts his left hand behind his neck. I can tell he's a little flustered but I can't help but be flattered. I'm sure he has a ton of other female friends that he could ask but he asked me. Makes me feel, important. I like that.

"You're in luck, since I don't have much plans tomorrow. I'll go with you -- what time?" I say, smiling. I can tell he was uncomfortable asking and I want him to know that I don't mind going. I never really get to dress up anywhere so it would be a nice occasion to go to.

"Seven, I'll pick you up. You like in the heights right? Brooklyn?" He says as we enter the borough of Brooklyn. I make a mhm noise and stare out the window, trying to decide what I'm going to wear. I have a few nice dresses that a bought but never wore to anything. I'm so lost in thought, that I don't even realize that we already pulled up to my apartment building. The rain has stopped now and the sun is peaking through the cloud -- a typical spring shower.

"Oh, we're here. Thank you so much for the ride! I'll see you tomorrow," I say, undoing my seatbelt and smile at him. When I look at Mateo he looks, dazed. Like he's hesitant to say something but doesn't know how to word it. After staring at each other for a minute, he smiles and nods.

"No problem, see you tomorrow," He says as I exit the car. He waits to pull off before I enter the building and I can't help my smile at myself. I walk up the stairs towards my apartment, unlock it, and go inside. Once I place my things on the counter, I pull out my phone and text Catalina.

Get home soon, I need help picking a dress out. xoxo

As I press send, I smile to myself. I'm going out with Mateo tomorrow.

-

-

-

Author's note:

Hey everyone :) Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

So, Antonella is going out with Mateo, how do we feel? Do we think anything is gonna happen?

Side note: would you be interested in me creating a playlist for the story? Let me know!

Thanks for reading <3

xoxo,

Ashley