12- Truth

"The Duchess of Arguens has arrived"

"So soon? I thought it would take her atleast a week" The nanny says.

Oh god that was close! Thank God she arrived after he left or else it would have been a disaster if Eric met her here!

But it's good that she has arrived sooner...I need to know the truth as soon as possible!

Without further ado I go to the guest hall to meet her

She sat there with a few others who looked like the mages sent to keep Eric in check. The Duchess looked a lot older since when I had last seen her but she was still very beautiful!

"Greetings Duchess Roseanne! I hope I didn't keep you waiting for too long"  I smile at her.

"Caroline!" She exclaims, " How have you been!?"

The Duchess stands up and we exchange a hug. She was really like a mother to me, I feel bad for not being able to meet her for so long...

"I'm sorry for cutting all communications with you Roseanne, I missed you" I sit beside her and hold her hand.

"No...I'm the one who's sorry Caroline! A lot has happened in these 7 years...but I didn't know what to do" she looks very anxious.

I look at the nanny and signal her to deal with the mages. She bows down and takes the mages to another room.

"Tell me everything Roseanne! I am dying to know what's going on!" I continue.

She sighs, "I don't even know where to start...all these 7 years I kept on treading over glasses, always careful about each and everything! That boy is certainly not normal Caroline! He's very dangerous!"

"What??" My brows near each other,"Did he do something to you?"

"No he never hurt me but..."

"But?"

She gulped down a lump in her throat, "Caroline...you remember my brother in laws who constantly eyed my property and wealth?"

"Yeah what happened to them?"

"They are dead. He killed them! He was just 13 when I saw him standing above their dead bodies covered in their blood! Even today I get chills down my spine when I think about it...how could a young boy do all that??" She trembled.

"Calm down Roseanne. I'm sorry for everything." I pat her shoulder feeling a little guilty for leaving him with her.

"No Caroline...It's me who is sorry! If only I took better care of my late husband! If only I could produce a child of my own!  If only I wasn't so selfish...! I just wanted to hear a voice call me mother! And even now I can't hate him...because I'm his mother afterall!" She cried covering her face.

I felt so bad for her...I realised my plan worked out completely different than what I expected it to be and so people got hurt because of it...

"As he grew up, I realised how capable that boy is! His teachers used to call him a genius as if he wasn't human! He was not only smart but also extremely powerful. And soon the duchy doubled in wealth under his efficient leadership. He didn't care what means he had to resort to as long as he achieved his goals! But as if that wasn't enough! That boy had his eyes set on the imperial throne...! he acted like a pure saint in front of the emperor and his sister, then soon he got closer to them through a series of manipulations and schemes. It's only a matter of time that he gets the title of the crown prince! Even the public supports him but no one knows his real face other than me!" She explained.

It's just as I had expected. No it's even more than what I had expected.

Of course Eric is capable of all those things...

He is not human after all.

He is a half blood, he is a special creature that should not be allowed to exist!

It would be a disaster if people come to know about him. Only a few people know about his existence. Not even Roseanne knows about it. She only knows the fact that he was just an ordinary slave whom the Vorsacks brainwashed to love and obey.

But the question still remains...Why does he remember me?

"Say Roseanne...Why was Eric's brainwashing not undone? Why does he still remember the past?" I ask

"What do you mean Caroline?" She looks very confused.

"Milady we need to talk..." The nanny appears with a worried expression, the head mage stands behind her with his head low.

"Just a second Roseanne, I'll be right back" I say and go to the corner of the room where the nanny and few other mages stood.

"Milady we have got a problem..." The nanny says.

"What is it?"

"It's about that slave Eric, something is wrong with him..." the head mage says.

"Huh? What are you talking about? First tell me why did you fail to undo his brainwashing? Actually why did you send a wrong signal 5 years ago if you had failed to erase it??"

The head mage looks at the nanny and the nanny signals him to go on.

"We never sent you a wrong signal, even we are surprised. That boy, we thought we were erasing his memories but we were wrong! Our magic had no effect on him!" He continued.

"What??"

"We thought that since he stopped resisting, we would easily succeed in erasing his memories in one year! But we were very wrong....! He only pretended to forget everything! That boy fooled all of us and got more and more powerful everyday and soon he would no longer listen to us. He even got the imperial family on his side, what could a few black mages like us do? He has recently left for Karlos with the King's sister and according to what her description of that black haired man, I can say with certainty that it's him..."

No way....what?? What the fuck????

"How can you be so careless!? How could all of you, the most competent black mages fail???" I shouted making Roseanne look over to us but I didn't care I was too much scared to care!

"Lady...it's not that we failed, it's that our magic had no effects on him. He is immune to black magic! And that includes brainwashing..."

I gasped at those words.

"So wait, you mean that..."

"Yes lady it's exactly what you think.He was never brainwashed in the first place !"

My whole world collapsed in a moment.

💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

Hey so if you like to read webtoons/manhwas

Check this out!

The lost women on webtoon

https://m.webtoons.com/en/challenge/the-lost-women/list?title_no=740010&webtoon-platform-redirect=true

Copy paste this link on your browser or click on the link in my bio

You can also search "The Lost women" on webtoon!

I upload new chapters every month on 15th or 29th!

Thanks!

💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖