Chapter Eighteen

Adelaide clenched her fists as she did her best not to move. Stefan kept working, and the stabbing pain continued to spread. Her eyes were squeezed shut, and she tried to convince herself that it wouldn't hurt if she couldn't see it. Just as she was sure it was going to be too much, Stefan stopped chanting, and the pain disappeared rapidly.

"Okay," Stefan finally breathed. Adelaide let out a breath she didn't realize she was holding as the pain subsided to a dull ache in her abdomen. Stefan moved farther from her, leaning back on his elbows, "all done."

"That hurt like a bitch." Adelaide breathed out after a moment. She grabbed the discarded bottle of vodka, opening the cap and taking another swig.

"I don't think this is going to help the pain now." Stefan told her, taking the bottle from her. He put it against his lips, downing a large gulp. Adelaide sat up slowly so she could face him, and she shrugged.

"Oh I know," She smiled, holding a hand out for the bottle. Stefan passed it to her and she took another sip, making a face when it burned in her throat, "but it will definitely help me not think about how fucked up my life has become."

"Well," Stefan took the bottle, but didn't take a sip yet. He looked at Adelaide intently, tilting his head to the side, "what would you prefer your life to be like? If you weren't here, what would you be doing instead?"

"Here as in getting drunk in your bed, or here as in this situation?" Adelaide asked with a laugh. Stefan rolled his eyes before taking another gulp.

"The situation."

"I don't know..." Adelaide dug back in her memory to the Adelaide from a month ago. Those memories felt like a lifetime ago. She thought about her classes and her boring job. The late night shifts at the diner. It felt like a different version of herself - definitely not the same Adelaide who was sitting there in that moment, "Probably just studying and doing homework. Watching movies with James. Working. A lot."

"Doesn't sound very fun." Stefan shrugged. He threw back another swig before he picked the cap up and screwed it back on.

"It wasn't very fun," Adelaide reached her hand out for the bottle, but Stefan held it away from her, "but at least I knew what to expect every day."

"You've had enough." Stefan told her, shaking his head. Adelaide glared at him. She didn't like him policing her and telling her what to do, but the rational side of her knew the couple shots she'd already had were already going to her head.

"You're no fun." Adelaide told him, deciding not to argue. She knew her head was already feeling lighter, and the anxiety in her chest was starting to lift. That was all she had wanted.

"If James and Christoph get back and you're pissed drunk, they're not going to be too happy with me."

"Good point." Adelaide agreed with a small chuckle. She laid back on the bed, looking up at Stefan's bare ceiling. He followed her movements, pulling his hands underneath his head so his elbow sat inches from her head.

"What would you be doing?" Adelaide asked, looking sideways at him. He didn't movement his eyes fixed on the ceiling above, "you know, if you weren't a Risolute and weren't trying to stop Ellora."

Stefan didn't say anything for a while, and Adelaide began to worry if he hadn't heard her question. Eventually, he answered and broke the long silence.

"I have no idea. I've spent most of my life fighting with them, since I was a teenager. I don't know who I'd be if I wasn't doing that." Stefan told her. He looked like he'd truly never considered it before, and the thought upset him.

"Why do you do it? Fight them, I mean. Why not just leave?" Adelaide asked as she frowned up at the ceiling. Her body felt warm, but in the best way. All the aches and soreness she felt were melting away, and she felt her muscles start relax.