ii. meet the unknowns

CHAPTER II:
meet the unknowns

CHAPTER II: meet the unknowns

( June 1985 )

      STEVE HADN'T TOLD BEA WHAT TIME THE MOVIE WAS, OR EVEN IF HE ACTUALLY BOUGHT THEIR TICKETS FOR THE MOVIE HE WANTED TO AVOID SEEING

STEVE HADN'T TOLD BEA WHAT TIME THE MOVIE WAS, OR EVEN IF HE ACTUALLY BOUGHT THEIR TICKETS FOR THE MOVIE HE WANTED TO AVOID SEEING. But, while still having doubt about the boy, Bea made herself appear as presentable as she could with only having what she had been wearing to work.

With her palm in her hand on the counter and her other scribbling away in a small sketchbook, Bea was afraid she was being stood up by her fake boyfriend with how late it was beginning to get. How sad would that be? Being stood up by someone she was truly interested in probably would have been better than by a fake boyfriend. Even if a microscopic part of her wished he was actually taking her on a real date rather than one to set him up for possible suitors.

Sighing while setting down her pencil, she stared at what she had drawn in disgust. Steve Harrington. Three semi-realistic sketches of the boy she had a not-so-realistic relationship with. She even captured his stupid smile right.

"Whatcha drawing?" Bea jumped at the voice entering her workplace.

      "Jesus H Christ," she said with a hand over her heart. "I think my heart might've stopped," she dramatized.

"You still didn't answer my question," Steve said while getting closer to the counter, an obvious observation by her would be that he had taken the time to change out of his work uniform. Bea quickly shut it closed before he could even see that it was a person on her page let alone that it was him.

      "Subject change," Bea demanded while leaning down to put her sketchbook into her bag that had been hidden under the counter beside her skateboard.

      "Fine," Steve said from above. "Our movie starts in half an hour?" he made an attempt.

      Bea's head shot up from beneath the counter with wide eyes, "you got the tickets?" she asked almost sounded shocked.

      "Well you wanted to see it didn't you?" he questioned while she began picking up her things to close the store for the day.

      "Yeah," the girl attempted to hide her excitement from Steve as they exited the Spencers. "I just wasn't sure if you actually got the tickets since you seemed like you didn't want to see the movie," she shrugged while pulling down the gate to protect her place of work.

      Steve watched her lock the gate, "I don't but you wanted to so I went ahead and got them." Standing up, Bea was then met with the colorful sight of a bouquet of four of her favorite dark purple flowers.

      Not bothering to hide her grin like she usually did with Steve's antics, she took the Dracula Celosia into her hands. "Where'd you even get these?" her brightened eyes examined the flowers.

"I may have borrowed them from the pots of flowers around the fountain," he said while putting his hand in her back pocket for the first time, just to try it out as they walked to the movie theater.

"And you knew these were my favorite flowers, how?" Bea questioned.

"I didn't.." he sucked in his teeth.

      She hit him lightly with the flowers, "you could've lied," she rolled her eyes.

      "And why would I want our relationship to be built on lies?" Steve said with his perfect Harrington grin that Beatrice had been drawing only minutes ago.

"SO WHO EXACTLY ARE THESE FRIENDS I DON'T KNOW?" Bea asked as they entered the general area of the cinema. The bright and colorful lights created multiple hues on her cheeks the closer they got and created the brightest shine in her eyes that Steve had ever seen.

Steve shrugged, his hand still in the back pocket of her jean shorts. "Oh, there they are," he said as they got closer to a younger pair who was leaning against a pillar together talking between themselves.

Furrowing her brows confused, Beatrice glanced at Steve. "Steven, you're an idiot. I know them," she said while they met up with the duo.

      "You do?"

      "Yes, numbskull. I met Max in my store and now she's a regular that talks to me whenever she's in the mall and Lucas is my neighbor," she face palmed.

      "This is your girlfriend?" Max asked incredulously turning with her back leaning on the pillar.

      "I refuse to believe this is true," Lucas said crossing his arms and leaning his back on the pillar as Max had. 

      "I don't blame you," Bea mumbled.

"Well it's true, this is my Bea," Steve said while taking his hand out of her pocket and wrapping it around her shoulders.

Beatrice tried to contain her cringe as much as she could but it still showed through when she wrapped her own arm around Steve's waist. Feeling a slight panic run through him at her loyalty to their act, Steve spoke rather hastily, "alright! Let's get our popcorn and get into the theater before the movie starts!" he rushed.

Lucas and Max walked ahead of the older two, their fingers intertwined while going over to the concessions booth. Bea leaned into Steve's side to whisper into his ear with a hearty laugh, "that was horrible."

      He laughed quietly along with her, his arm still around her shoulders and her arm still hugging his waist while they walked. "I had to try something," he defended with his laughter dying down.

      Bea nodded understanding, "it works."

      Steve looked down at her, the lights of the theater glinting over her features to make her smile appear brighter in his eyes, "it does?" he asked.

      She shrugged, "yeah," Bea nodded, "it does."