Chapter 18: What lies ahead PT2

3rd POV

(In the woods)
"They couldn't have gone far. Hey, we're gonna find them" Rick says "Sophia will be tuckered out hiding in a bush somewhere. Delilah will probably be guarding her" "She was doing just fine till right here. All she had to do was keep going. She veered off that way" Daryl says kneeling before the tracks of Delilah's shoes.

"Why would she do that?" Glenn asks "Maybe she saw something that spooked her, made her run off" Shane suggests "A walker?" Glenn asks fearfully "I don't see any other footprints. Just hers. Bu her senses are sharper, she probably heard or smelled something that made her avoid this direction" "So what do we do? All of us press on?" Shane asks "No, better if you and Glenn get back up to the highway. People are gonna start panicking. Let them know we're on her trail doing everything we can. But most of all, keep everybody calm" Rick says.

"I'll keep 'em busy scavenging cars. Think up a few other chores. I'll keep 'em occupied. Come on" Shane says before tugging Glenn along.

(The highway)
"Why aren't we all out there looking? Why are we moving cars?" Carol asks "We have to clear enough room so I can get the R.V. turned around as soon as it's running. Now that we have fuel we can double back to a bypass that Glenn flagged on the map" Dale explained.

"Going back's going to be easier than trying to get through this mess" Shane adds "We're not going anywhere till my daughter gets back!" Carol argues "Hey, that goes without saying" Lori reassures "Rick and Daryl, they're on it, okay? Just a matter of time" Shane adds "Can't be soon enough for me" Amy scoffs "I'm still freaked out from that herd that passed us by, or whatever you'd call it" Andrea agrees.

"Yeah, what was that? All of them just marching along like that?" Glenn asks "A herd. That sounds about right. We've seen it. It's like the night camp got attacked. Some wandering pack, only fewer. Okay. Come on, people. We still got a lot to do. Let's stay on it. Let's go, come on" Shane orders.

(Back to the woods)
Daryl and Rick are still searching for Delilah and Sophia when Rick disappointedly says "Tracks are gone..."

"No, they're faint, but they ain't gone. She came through here. Fast. She was running from something" Daryl argues as he kneels down for a closer look which makes Rick ask "How can you tell? I don't see anything. Dirt, grass" and Daryl retorts "You want a lesson in tracking or you want to find that girl and get our ass off that interstate?"

(Back to the highway)
Carl digs through various cars before finding a black sack with a axe poking out at the top. He scoops it up and excitedly runs to Lori and Shane. Shane is fixing up a car while Lori is digging through a trunk.

"Shane!" Carl calls out making Lori worriedly ask "Carl, what happened?" "Mom, I found something cool. Shane, check it out. It's an arsenal!" Carl says proudly "That's cool, bud. Go give 'em to Dale" Shane says waving him off.

"Check this one out! Whoa, it's a hatchet" Carl says joyously "Be careful. Don't play with those" Lori cautions but doesn't move to take them away "They're really sharp! They're perfect! Especially since Lily hates guns!" Carl continues "What did I just say?" Lori says exasperated "Can I keep one?" Carl asks "Are you crazy?" Lori says while shaking her head 'no' "No way!"

"Shane. Shane, tell her to let me keep one" Carl pleads "Hey, man, go give them all to Dale now!Go!" Shane snaps making Carl deflate and trudge towards the RV.

Once he's gone Lori whirls around on Shane and demands "What was that?" "What was what?" Shane asks "The way you blew him off just now. You crushed him" Lori states making Shane scoff and return to the car "I don't believe you. You're giving me the cold shoulder?" Lori asks in disbelief "Isn't that what you want? Aren't you the one who said stay the hell away from him and you?" Shane fires back.

"You forget what happened at the CDC? Your little meltdown in the rec room slip your mind? When you tried--" Lori goes on "When I tried to what? What do you think that was?" Shane turns to face her and approaches her "I think it is pretty plain what that was" Lori scoffs "A mistake. One that I admit to. I have a few mistakes under my belt, Lori. So do you" Shane states making Lori cross her arms and say "No debate there. But Shane, we need to stop this."

"Why do you think I'm prepping my new ride? I'm leaving" Shane's says before going back to the engine "Leaving?" Lori uncrosses her arms and looks at Shane in surprise "As in gone for good. Gonna quietly slip away first chance I get" Shane explains.

Delilah's POV
I carried Sophia piggyback style as I ran through the woods.

After Rick had left another Walker appeared by Sophia's hiding spot and attacked her. I was forced to kill it and watch its body sink to the bottom of the river. Sophia had taken off to the other side of the river and I went after her...

Now we're lost. Everything looked the same and it all reeked of death. I tried to find the river since it was my only land mark, but every time I got close I'd spot a Walker nearby.

I feeling of hopelessness overwhelmed me as I thought that we'd be trapped here....forever.