Chapter Thirty Six

Chapter Thirty Six

Lienna

The next few weeks were positively teeming with balls, feasts, and wedding preparation that was open to the public. Luckily, Frigga and Odin talked so much that I never had to say an unnecessary word or handle the harassment of those who weren't too in favor of "putting such a beautiful girl in the hands of a liar."

It was my first taste of being a princess, and it wore me out, terrified me, and enthralled me. The mix of emotions made me feel alive and very, very nervous. Loki was by my side most of the time, and in his absence Frigga or even Thor would only be a few steps behind, watching and helping.

Strangely enough, all these experiences were the first taste of normal I had ever had. It was peaceful, and the only really grounded thing I knew right now, so I decided to revel in it as much as possible.

I was away from the grand palace's more intimate rooms for nearly the entirety of the day and found myself slipping into my room late at night and collapsing into my bed. Sometimes, I would visit Loki for a bit, but most of the time I was too exhausted to go to him myself. Usually, he visited me in the dark of night, wrapping his arms around me amd holding me for a few hours or so.

Finally, after a month and a half of "publicizing myself" as Frigga called it, it was over. I was free, for a few days at least. The real wedding preparations would begin soon and I would be busier than ever.

I nearly crashed on my bed, before I remembered Frigga wished to see me before the end of the day. I spun around, a bit annoyed at Frigga.

"Princess, where are you off to at these ungodly hours?" someone called after me.

I stopped, grinning. "Well, Prince, it seems your mother has taken a liking to preparing me for marriage to you."

Loki took me in his arms and dipped me, swaying to nonexistent music. "I've heard I can be quite a handful."

I laughed. "I noticed. You always manage to pull through, though. That isn't so bad."

Loki rolled his eyes. "I try," he remarked, sarcasm tinging his words. He smirked. "Only a few weeks, Lienna. Then I can truly call you mine."

"A few weeks, Loki. A few weeks until I do the craziest thing I might have ever done."

"Ah, Lienna, marriage can't possibly be that wild."

"Marriage to you can be," I replied, winking. "Now, I need to get to the Allmother before she sends out a search party for me. Save me a kiss?" I asked, twirling out of our little dance.

He kissed my hand. "Of course." Then Loki slipped away into the dimly lit corridor, to do whatever it was that gods about to be married did.

I sighed dreamily. That man could do strange things to my disposition. Then I remembered Frigga needed me.

I found my way to her room fairly quickly.
"Lienna, my dear! Come on in," Frigga welcomed me. I sat myself down on her sofa, pulling one of the fur blankets around me. It was awfully cold in Asgard this time of year, and it had been for a long, frustrating while. I was slightly worried the wedding would be snowed in, but with a home like the massive Asgardian palace, it wouldn't be too bad.

"Lienna, I requested your presence to talk about what might be a sensitive subject. Is that alright?" Frigga asked gently.

My mind flipped through what seemed to be hundreds of sensitive topics. I might as well get through this. "Yes, of course."

Frigga studied me for a moment. "It's about your parents."

A rush of vertigo shocked me for a moment. I pushed down all the emotions quickly. This isn't the time. I nodded for her to continue.

"In the Asgardian tradition, family is an important part of weddings. Your parents have already taken their place in Valhalla, and I was wondering how you felt having them absent at your wedding."

I had purposely avoided thinking about this because of how I was still tender with the subject of their deaths. Especially when it came to who I was marrying.

Frigga restes her hand on my knee. "I just want to make sure you are going to be alright. Loki won't be an easy man to marry, you know that. I will always be here if you need to discuss things. It's hard not having parents with you to counsel you through marriage and love and life in nearly all aspects and I don't ever want you to hold back or make a decision you don't quite know about without help. I know Odin is not a particular favorite figure but I am here if anything. If you have questions about having children-"

"I can't have children." I whispered.

Frigga bit her lip. "Oh dear. You are so strong for having to persevere through that. I'm proud."

I nodded, too emotionally tied up to speak. It was strange that Frigga would even think to ask about my parents. Perhaps her motherly intuition was strengthened by being the Allmother, or maybe she saw me as a kindred spirit. She did know what it was like to have to deal with marriage without parents. I relaxed a bit.

"I'm sorry, Lienna, I shouldn't have asked. It was too insensitive of me. I hope you will forgive me, dear."

I shook my head. "It is fine, Frigga. Do not fret where there is no need for worry. Loki and I have discussed this, but I do not know how Odin will handle the news of my inability. Honestly, I don't quite care what Odin thinks, but he is providing me with a home and food, so I have to."

The corner of Frigga's lips curled up in a smirk not unlike Loki's, and I couldn't help but admire it. "Lienna, I knew there were multiple reasons I liked you. However, dear, I'm afraid I kept you late and you need to get to bed. We'll speak soon. Goodnight, Lienna. My love and regards."

Frigga was effortlessly smooth with her topic changing and dismissal and it didn't even phase me. I simply agreed with her words, realizing how tired I actually was.

I sunk into my bed, my mind filled to the brim with Frigga's words and mine mixing together with blurred memories.

My soul ached slightly with longing for something I could not identify. Was it my fiancé or my parents or something else?

I shook away the thoughts. What I really need is sleep.

××××××

-

-

-

-

-

Again, I apologize for this being late, it seems most of my updates are, sorry!

Hopefully you enjoyed it! Please vote and comment and check out my other works! I would greatly appreciate it if you did!

Also, thank you for more than 30 votes on the last chapter! 30 votes for a new chapter!

♡,
katiethenovelist