Interlude IV

NINE YEARS PRIOR...

"Do You Love What You Feel" by Chaka Khan and Rufus played from the two large speakers set up on the patio where the DJ stood behind a turn table of the three story childhood home that Lily and Mannie Dunomes Sr. raised their family of six. The Dunomes and Richardson clan were having their annual family reunion in Woodmore, Maryland.

Coming from such a huge extended family, it was difficult keeping up with everyone that weren't seen in years even though everyone was just a phone call or social media app away. Being a tight knit, upper middle class family that bragged about their successes during dinner time wasn't their forte. They were boughetto. However, it felt amazing being back at the place where it all started for everyone to come together, fellowship and enjoy the presence of one another without the foolishness that doesn't seem to surprise anyone anymore.

Most of the men sat around a foldable table playing a game of Spades that eventually switched Dominoes after a few losses of the opposing team. All of the women were mostly indoors preparing the side dishes, chatting while others walked around cliqued up for a smoking session just to gossip about everyone their eyes set upon or danced with their significant other. The youngsters were having a ball playing childhood games that never got old no matter the generation as well as jumping around in the inflatable jump house. Meanwhile, the teenagers and young adults sat around a table of their own, catching up and joking around as they always did when they got together for gatherings.

Being separated from that group of other cousins were Irish, Naima, Vena—who joined them for the road trip, China, Ariel and two male cousins, Brian and Zachaeus. They were the closest in the family with the exclusion of Irish and China. Since childhood, they never got along for many reasons. China felt Irish was stuck up, and Irish felt China was a wannabe hoodrat with drama following her everywhere that she went.

It was no family secret to their little beef, and at times, it was difficult to calm them both down when they got into heated altercations. The only reason they hung around each other was because they were close to mutual relatives. Other than that, Irish would rather ignore her like she never existed. She often wished for it to be true. Hopefully, today would be a day the festivities would end the way it started. On a good note.

Taking a pull from a blunt Zachaeus rolled minutes ago, he passed it to Brian following his actions who passed it to his left to Ariel. Fumes evaporated into the thin air as the strong scent of Kush permeated the air. Irish and Naima were the only ones who didn't smoke. It was shocking when Irish found out that Vena did after catching her one day in her bedroom of her grandmother's home.

"I'm surprised y'all asses ain't at each other's throat right now. Usually, y'all are," Zachaeus said, looking between China and Irish. "Must've squashed the beef."

"Shut up, Zach." Ariel slapped his bicep. She passed the blunt to China who rolled her eyes, taking a couple pulls from the strawberry flavored cigarillo.

"Ain't nobody worryin' about her. She know I don't like her with her saditty ass. Think she too good for anybody."

"Bitch, I don't like you either, and I'm not saditty nor do I think I'm too good for anybody. We come from the same saditty ass family, dumbass." She rolled her eyes. "I've been ignoring your slick comments since we've been here all week. I don't got time for you."

"As if I give a single fuck about anything you just said."

"China, why you such a hating ass bitch?" Vena asked with a scowl. "You been on her case since we got here. You jealous or somethin'?"