Chapter Five

(Grace)

I wipe the tears that fall from my face as I look at the man standing in front of me. I’m dreaming. I have to be.

It’s not possible to see the man that broke my heart nine years ago, especially when my heart is breaking into a million pieces right now over the betrayal of Brad and Cindy. 

“Peaches?” My bottom lip quivers at the name he’s just called me. It is Luke, but why is he here?

I’m frozen as I look into the brown eyes I dreamed would find me all those years ago. 

He walks towards me, never taking his eyes off me. “Tell me I’m dreaming.” He whispers. I shake my head as I squeeze my eyes shut. He isn’t here. He can’t be. 

When I open my eyes, I’ll be back in my bed, and none of this will have happened. Brad will be beside me like he always is.

“Open your eyes, Peaches.” I can’t open them. I refuse to. Because when I do, it will all be real, and I can’t handle this much pain, the pain that I felt when I woke up that morning all alone, and the pain that I feel from Brad. 

My phone makes me open my eyes as it rings repeatedly. Yep, I’m definitely not dreaming.

“I need a drink,” I say as I turn away from him and walk to Simon’s desk. I open the bottom drawer and pull the whiskey out without looking at Luke, I down the whiskey. Loving the burning feeling because at least I’m feeling something other than this dull pain in my heart. 

My eyes lock onto Luke’s, who stares at me, gone out. “Do you want some? You can’t let me drink alone.” I tip the whiskey towards him.

He doesn’t say anything as he walks towards me. He sits on the edge of Simon’s desk before taking the whiskey from me. 

“I haven’t drunk whiskey in a long time.” But it doesn’t stop him from downing half the bottle. 

My phone rings again. I pull it from my coat pocket to see it’s Brad. Luke looks down and sees the name Brad with the photo of Brad and me on our wedding day. 

If I’m not mistaken, he looks sad. No, that’s not the word. He looks gutted. 

The phone goes off again, but I don’t take my eyes off Luke. We stare at each other, none of us saying a word even though there’s so much to say. 

(Lucas)

The redhead that stole my heart away all those years ago is staring at me, daring me to say something, but I can’t. 

If I say something, it will no doubt be telling her I never stopped thinking about her after all these years, even when I was going to marry another woman.

Her phone rings again, and my heart clenches when I see it’s another man calling her. No, not just another man. Her husband. 

Fuck. I shouldn’t be feeling hurt over that. It’s been nine years since we were together. I decide to break the silence because if I don’t, I’ll be doing something that I shouldn’t be doing to a married woman. 

“I think your husband wants you.” I spit out. What the fuck is wrong with me? I sound so jealous. 

“No, he doesn’t want me because if he did, he wouldn’t have let me walk into our bedroom seeing him balls deep in his colleague. So no, he doesn’t want me. He can go fuck himself.” 

Fuck. My mouth hangs open at her words. No wonder she needed that whiskey. I hand it back to her, watching her drink it over and over again. At this moment, she’s going to be fucked.