Chapter 26: Chance

~ו×~

~ו×~

"Your king will wait."

It echoed in your head. It seems like it was something you have heard a thousand times but you were sure Taehyung only said it once. He didn't leave you in your room. He instead asked Eli to bring refreshers and pastries into your room since you decline walking up to his solar. You knew it would grab attention from the palace folks so you insisted on staying here in your room. Sunoo stopped by to grab his coat since him and Namjoon will be leaving for another feeding program in the villages.

His eyes landed on the king and then to your puffy eyes and swollen lips. You knew he wanted to ask something but clumped his mouth shut. Maybe tonight, Sunoo will finally ask. He left politely and went on to his schedule with the royal doctor.

"Here, I bet you're hungry. You haven't really eaten anything at the pavilion," Taehyung offers you a sandwich on a small porcelain plate.

You gratefully took it from his hand and took a bite. Taehyung only watches you with content.Is this man serious?

You ask yourself.

It can't be.

You continue in disbelief.

Brothers! Again!

You facepalm internally and swallow the bit of sandwich you were chewing. You're disappointed at yourself. Again, this is happening. Only today, these southern royals you're dealing with are not very familiar.

"Was that the reason why you freed us your majesty?" You start to ask.

He rests his face on his palm. Elbow on the armrest of the chair he's occupying.

"Not at all. Eli only mentioned you two once. She brought your papers in my office and asked me to stamp them. I didn't know who you were back then. Coincidentally, Heeseung's teacher just resigned,"

You nod.

"When did you learn about us?"

Taehyung crosses his legs and leans into his chair more. "After your first lessons with Heeseung, I was there listening. I thought the way you teach was different from us here."

"Most importantly, you knew how to deal with royals. You dealt eith him with respect yet you effectively stand your ground. Heeseung's past teachers couldn't deal with him and his snarky comments. You just brush them off. The way you carry yourself was that of a noble, not a slave. I got interested and summoned Rosa here,"

You nod again and didn't say anything.

"I meant what I said," he reminded you.

"Your majesty, I know you mean it but I am not just fit for it....."

"Is it because of King Yoongi?" He asked.

You snap your head at him and vehemently shake your head.

Jungkook

"Not just him solely. I'm not assuming or anything but this might cause a war," you were concerned.

Yoongi and Hoseok started getting involved and almost killed Taehyung if it weren't for you who shielded him.

"Then war shall he get," his eyes brooding.

"No please, I am not worth sacrificing you men your majesty. This isn't something to be discussed over some tea. Your advisers needs to know this,"

Taehyung is impressed. Rosa was right, you are a duchess for a lot of reasons. He knew this decision was something to be discussed with them but because he was so eager to offer marriage to you, he got ahead of himself.

"I will. Once Jungkook's done with his woman's introduction, I will certainly,"

You remembered him. Jungkook with Ella. The way he looked at her. Were you just assuming by yourself that he might also have feelings for you?

You play your feelings too much. You weren't so sure now that Jungkook is with another woman. Well, it removes a heavy load on your chest if that's the case. But you'd be lying to yourself if you say you're not hurting.

Liking Jungkook is a big gamble after what happened to you. You turned cold but it wasn't for Jungkook. You knew he was a royal and royals do that. They flirt till they get what they want.

But Jungkook wasn't flirting with you.

ENOUGH!

You scream at yourself internally.

Even then, that is not an excuse to accept the king's proposal. Another royal has took interest in you. You knew Yoongi will be furious. Who cares though? After what he has done and didn't do. He doesn't have the right to be mad at you. nor meddle with you at the moment or any other time. Seeing him that night in your room  hurt you so much especially when he tried to kill the king.

"I should get going your majesty. The education department won't run itself," you tried to make an excuse but in all reality, you just wanted to escape the king and his reading eyes.

What will happen if he realizes that you are in love with his brother? It's only the beginning of the day but you're already having a headache.

"Let's not spoil the day love," the king keeps calling you names you weren't sure how to react.

Your cheeks say blush. Blush tomato red. Your face heats up and so does your ears. Your heart doesn't skip a beat though. It's as if you were just hearing another endearment from someone you don't really like. That's harsh for you to admit to yourself but it's true.

The king is gorgeous, no question. A great king even. But you just don't see yourself being with him for the rest of your life.

"Listen, I know we're still not on the same page but could you atleast give me a chance?" Taehyung asks.

"Well, that's acceptable my king. I will. Only if you don't force yourself to me. I truly believe that someone out there is fit for your queen,"

"That's more than enough for me to hear. I am glad you're giving me a chance instead of totally rejecting me," Taehyung gently touches your chin completely ignoring the last part of what you just said.

"Let me be the rightful man for you. Strip me off of my position and riches and believe me, I am still the man you will soon love," he assures you.

Your heart melts. Such a gentle man he is. Even the way he speaks makes you feel warm and comfortable. You have to admit, you feel safe around him. After all, he is still the man who freed you.

•••

Please don't forget to vote and share. Also, please follow me here on wattpad and stay updated for chapter uploads and new books.

-Haeun🦋