Perception

Turns out, Masaomi had been a bit too efficient. By the time Dani had finished stitching him up, the cops had just arrived and he headed outside in hopes that a breath of fresh air would help his hands stop shaking. Several people stared at his bloodied leg, and he wondered if he should give up on doing anything else today besides going home. Even if the bullet had just grazed him, it hurt like a mama. He really was a wuss.

Ema sighted him before he had a chance to hide. Still, the way she cried out his name made him melt.

Ugh. I'm so whipped.

"You told me you wouldn't get hurt! Oh, god, sit down, you shouldn't be walking! Where's a doctor—"

He put his hands on her shoulders. "Calm down, it's just a scratch and I've already taken care of it. See? Bandages and everything."

"Only a scratch?" Kaname appeared at her side, scowling. The family's second car had been parked nearby. "That's a whole lot of blood for only a scratch."

"Flesh wounds can do that. But really, I'm fine."

"You were limping," said Ema, a hint of rare anger at the edge of her voice.

He thought about mentioning how he had done his best against a guy with a gun and possibly a bomb, but that sounded whiney even in his head. Besides, it was his fault that Chika ended up here to begin with.

At that thought, his chest heated with shame and he drew back far enough to bow to her.

"Please accept my deepest apologies, Ema. I broke my promise to you and it is entirely my fault that all of this happened. I am so sorry."

And yet, what he truly regretted was not being smarter. A better protector would have put a stop to Chiaki without any fallback on his family whatsoever. But he had forgotten, even if for a moment, that protecting his family involved protecting himself too.

Kaname slapped a hand to his head and pushed him upright. The unexpected movement drew a painful hiss from Masaomi.

"Enough of that," Kaname growled. "Where's Chiaki?"

A flash of alarm ran through Masaomi. "I didn't kill him—" Hopefully.

"You should have, because now I'm gonna have to. He's a homicidal lunatic," his eyes flashed. "And I'm sorry, big bro, but I'm not as non-violent as you with my punishments."

Masaomi looked away, neck hot.

And still...he could not apologize for having done something about Chiaki. It was his job to protect his family. He could only apologize for not being smart enough.

"Cough it out, where is he?!"

"Kaname, stop, calm down—" started Ema.

"Stay out of this. Masaomi?"

"The police are dealing with him," he said softly, and because he felt some sort of need to report. "He's probably still unconscious."

"What? Did you bomb him with laughing gas or something?"

"I...hit him in the head with a bar stool."

Kaname's flabbergasted stare raised the heat from Masaomi's neck to his face. When an evil, very Hikaru-like smirk spread across his brother's face, Masaomi ducked his head. For some reason, having approval for it didn't help him feel better.

"So you can throw a punch when you need to," he said.

"Of course I can." And because he didn't care anymore if Kaname made a fool of himself fighting against the police to get at Chiaki. "They should be coming out the front with him, if you hurry."