xiii. girls just want to have fun

"when the working day is done

"when the working day is done..."
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

THE NEXT MORNING, COLBY ONCE AGAIN FOUND HIMSELF IN THE BACK OF SCOOPS AHOY. It was like every other day. Although he didn't get paid well, at least he was bringing home some money to support his family.

Another thing exciting about that day in particular was the return of Dustin Henderson, a kid in the party that both Steve and Colby liked. He'd been at camp since the beginning of June, and he'd finally come home.

Steve and Colby were hanging out in the back when they heard a familiar voice, containing the same familiar lisp, outside the window. They looked at each other with wide eyes as Steve burst out the door, Colby not far behind.

"Henderson!" they exclaimed in sync.

Dustin laughed gleefully at the sight of his two older friends looking at him. Steve moved over to greet him while Colby stayed behind the counter, giving Dustin a simple high five. While Dustin and Steve began their newfound secret handshake, Robin and Colby watched in awe. When they were done and their laughter had subsided, Robin leaned forward.

"How many children are you friends with?" she asked seriously. Steve sighed, motioning over to her with a grimace that acted as a smile.

"I see you've met Robin." he said awkwardly, clearing his throat to dissolve the tension that had arisen.

"Hi," said Robin dryly.

"Anyways, we have to talk." said Dustin, interrupting Robin's greeting. She looked at Colby and Steve, aggravated with the kid that had entered her restaurant.

"I'll have a sundae." Dustin beamed at Robin, handing her a five dollar bill. She frowned. Not long after, all three boys were sat in a booth, watching as Dustin eagerly ate the sundae that was in front of him.

"My new girlfriend Suzie," he began, swallowing his food, "genius, okay? Absolutely amazing. And she's hotter than Phoebe Cates."

"No, no. Now way!" scoffed Steve. "Hotter than Phoebe Cates? No."

"Jesus, Dustin," said Colby, looking up at the ceiling and picturing Phoebe Cates, "what camp did you go to?"

Dustin hummed, pride swelling in his chest. "Brilliant, too, like I said. And she doesn't even care that my real pearls are still coming in. She says kissing is better without teeth."

There was silence for a few seconds as the other three boys stared blankly at Dustin. He seemed pretty excited, although the others were just confused.

"Wow," Colby was the first to speak up, shaking his head in confusion.

Steve was speechless for a moment, staring at Dustin with the same expression, of pure confusion, that Colby had when he heard Dustin's last sentence.