Sixty-Seven

[|]

Early the next day, we got a call from the police station about the reports from Axel's case. I was tense and didn't know if I could bear to hear anything the police had to say. It was still difficult for me to grasp the fact that Axel was behind such a thing and it left me with a sleepless night.

"Are you ready to go?" Lucas asked as he closed the front door of the apartment.

"Nope," I answered and faced away. My palms were sweaty and my body cold from what was to come. "I don't know how I'll react to why Axel did all of these if it is what the cops have for us. He was part of the people who assaulted me. It's like a nightmare that I have to face yet I'm not ready to."

I felt his warm hand on the small of my back and I turned around. I leaned into his body and he circled his arms around my shoulders.

"I'm here for you," he said. "Besides, we won't be looking at Axel, just listening to the police tell us what we want to know."

I smiled and moved out of his hold. I felt lucky to have Lucas. I imagined if I was still alone, without friends. But now, I had him to comfort me in dark times and I was grateful for that.

"Let's go," I said, feeling better than before.

[|]

We arrived at the police station and waited in an office. It was small and filled with boxes and shelves full of books, making me feel a little out of breath. Lucas was beside me, holding my hand and giving it a light squeeze. I had lost count of how many times I had thought of not wanting to hear anything. But I had to start being strong and listen for once without feeling weak or scared to listen.

When I heard the door open and click shut, I sat with my back straight. Light footsteps filled the office until a middle-aged-looking officer went behind the desk. He sat down on his chair and dropped a file on the desk.

"Good morning," Lucas greeted and the man smiled.

"Good morning and welcome," he said and looked at me. "How are you doing today?"

I shrugged. "I don't know? My mood for the day will depend on whatever you have for us."

"Right," he said and cleared his throat before picking up the file. "So, Axel Hamilton."

"Yes," I said, clenching my hands as my heartbeat sped up. I was too nervous to hear whatever information he had, especially if it contained the reason why Axel made those boys assault me.

"First, we will begin with Tony, the deceased. We did a background check on him and with what you told us, he used to bully you in Redside High. We gathered reports and found traces of some illegal jobs he's been doing ever since he graduated from Redside High. He got involved in a few crimes; drug trafficking and illegal items being transported. A quick lab test done on his cadaver found traces of cocaine."

I was appalled at the information. I could not believe that the star swimmer at Redside High had turned out to be someone that hit rock bottom. It made me wonder if him bullying me was also a result of the side effects of him taking those substances.

"He recently got out of rehabilitation after getting caught and started tracing you from our reports. From the texts and what you told us, he was going to reveal who assaulted you. This brings us to Axel Hamilton who was at the scene of the crime."