seven

It was fathers day. Even though I still have my father, I hate this day.

Everyone's showing off their perfect dads while mines off doing drugs who knows where. I haven't heard from since I was ten.

Fourteen, almost fifteen years. There's a spot in Griffith Park I like coming to because it's peaceful.

I like to come here and think about the good times. I was currently on one of the trails and sitting on a bridge.

It was high enough that I could swing my legs off the edge if I wanted to. I like hearing the nature and everything.

"I was hoping you would be here." I hear a familiar voice. I look up to see it was Colby. He had on a pair of joggers and his merch.

I look at him with confusion on my face. "How'd you know I was here?" I ask curiously. He shrugs as he sits down next to me, our shoulders touching.

"When you weren't answering, I got nervous. I stalked your instagram and messgaed Nolan. He said you would be here."

I wasn't surprised. Nolan is the only person that knows I come here. "Well, I'm gonna need a new secret spot." I try to joke.

I'm also trying to avoid eye contact with Colby but it's hard with him staring at me.

"You wanna tell me what's wrong?" He asked softly. I thought about it for a second.

I hate talking about my dad. I know I can't bottle it up though so I exhale a deep breath.

"I just hate my dad for what he did." I think about it. There was a knot in my throat from wanting to cry.

"I mean, how do you choose drugs over your own kids?" I finally look into his eyes.

I can see the sadness behind them. "I might not understand, but you don't deserve that." He assured me.

I break the eye contact again, getting way too nervous. "I just feel bad for Nolan." I start.

"His friend's dads coached in baseball and they were teaching them how to shave. Mine couldn't give two shits." I shake my head.

My heart breaks for Nolan. I was nine when my mom kicked him out, my brother was seven.

He didn't teach my brother how to shave, throw a baseball, or how to drive. That's when it starts to anger me.

I just wish he cared. Colby let me rant for a little bit. He just sat there and listened, not judging me or anything.

Once I felt like I was done, I chuckled lightly to myself. "I'm sorry for all of that." I apologize.

He shook his head towards me. "Don't worry about it. It's better to talk about it than to bottle it up and it explodes."

I hate to admit it but he's right. It was silent for a moment. "Can I show you something?" He asked speaking up.

I nodded my head. He stood up from the bridge and looked down at me.

He stuck his hand out so he could pull me up. I place my hand into his and he pulls me up. I dust my pants off and start to follow him.

He takes me to a different spot at the park. I've never been to this part before.

We went through some woods and ended up at a meadow. I was at awe while looking at it.

This place was amazing. "Is this your spot?" I ask him. He nods his head while looking around.

"After I got arrested two years ago, I spent a lot of time here. Somehow, this place helped me calm down." He admitted.

I honestly hate how he got arrested. During these past couple of weeks, I might tease him a lot, but I've grown to care for the boy.