Knocking Down Knockturn Alley

AnnaLeigh Malfoy

"What for?" I said as Kehlani stood and began to gather her things.

"I think I'm gonna leave the stuff here and get the tender to mind it for me while I'm gone" She mumbled to herself, ignoring my question.

"Lani" I said once again "What's down there?"

"Someone we've been looking for" she said "He was spotted down Knockturn alley near Borgin and Burke's"

"Oh Merlin" I chewed on my lower lip. With everything going on around me at the moment, I wasn't sure if it was a good idea for me to travel down Knockturn alley at all, let alone right now.

"Coming?" Kehlani asked as she looked up at me. I contemplated for a second and realised that I'd be with Kehlani the whole time and she was trained for this sort of stuff. I nodded slowly, almost hesitantly and this made Kehlani smile "Yay! You get to see what I do for a living"

"I'm not sure if I'm too excited, Lani" I chuckled nervously "In all seriousness, If I was so curious, I could of just come to the office and watch you work"

"Yeah, but that's the boring stuff" Kehlani waved off and grabbed my hand "This is fun"

A second later Kehlani apparated and we landed just before the alley sign. I struggled to maintain my balance as we landed, with no warning that we were apparating, I wasn't prepared and nearly fell.

"Come and stay close" Kehlani said "Keep your wand handy and don't speak to anyone... at all, understand?"

"Aye, captain" I said and looked ahead at the dark and gloomy entrance. Not a lot of things managed to shake me as of late but this place did. It set an uneasy feeling in my stomach and something was telling me that I was not prepared for what was to happen.

Kehlani nodded and took off ahead of me. I trailed close behind and tried to take my mind off the fact that with every passing person, they slowly started to become more insane.

The deeper we walked down this alley, the more fear and heaviness I felt. Whether it was my own or just what was carried in the air surrounding us.

I wasn't sure who we were looking for or what to keep an eye out for. I was trusting kehlani with that and mainly focused on myself and where I stepped. Each person that we passed paid no mind to us but down here, that was the scariest thing.

They stuck to the walls, talking to themselves and picking at the moss.

Kehlani didn't seem fazed at all which was understandable considering this is what she'd done daily for almost 10 years. The thought hd slightly out me at ease. Knowing that I was safe with someone who knew what they were doing and what to expect.

As we walked further, the light from the entrance of the alley started to dim and that left us using the light from our wands.

"Ok, I need you to stay here" Kehlani whispered as she stopped mid path and looked out to the passage just ahead of us.

"W-What?" I looked at her in disbelief. There was no way that I was staying here by myself.

"I can't have you in this and would feel much better if you just stay put. You have your wand and if you don't move, there shouldn't be a problem" She said.

"No-no. I can't stay here, Lani—not by myself" I shook my head "What if something happens?"

"You're a big girl" She smiled "I promise you'll be fine and I won't be gone for long. Im just up here though this passage"

I breathed out slowly "If you're not back in 20 minutes, I'm going after you"

"I'd expect nothing less" Kehlani reached over and kissed my cheek "Please-Please don't move"