three | The Pollywog

DEJA VU | III.
"ALWAYS A PARTY MEMBER"
(' MEET DART ')

"ALWAYS A PARTY MEMBER"(' MEET DART ')

***

JAMIE WAS RICH.

That was what Max learned as she stood outside of the other girl's house with her skateboard tucked under her arm. It wasn't a fact that normally made Max insecure. But for some reason it did. She wasn't sure why, but she wanted Jamie to like her, which was why she'd made an effort with the boys on Halloween.

She also learned that Jamie had been lying when she said she lived nearby when she walked Max home that night. But why had she'd gone out of her way? It was a thought that kept Max up at night.

The front door opened, and Max rose to her feet and had to try her best not to laugh as she looked at Jamie. She had on a helmet, which was reasonable, along with every knee and elbow pad known to man.

Jamie ran over to her with a smile on her lips, "I'm ready!"

Max's eyes run over Jamie's tall form, a smile on her lips, "I can see that."

"I look stupid don't I?" Jamie asks.

"Not stupid," Max says as his blue eyes flicker up to meet Jamie's brown ones, "Safe."

"Safe is stupid," Jamie says with a pout and Max laughs as she shakes her head.

"No, safe is good," Max tells her, "But um I don't think you need that many pads."

"I might," Jamie responds with a blush as she scratches at the back of her neck, "I'm kind of clumsy."

She was being generous. Jamie was extremely clumsy.

Max blinks, "You're a cheerleader and you're clumsy?"

"Yeah, weird how life works out sometimes," Jamie says with a smile as she begins taking off the first layer of elbow pads. Max snorts and shakes her head as she watches her remove the pads.

"My um my mom is super protective," Jamie shares, "Not in a she-won't-let-me-out-the-house kind of way, but in a buys-a-million-elbow-pads kind of way."

"It's sweet, I mean at least she supports you," Max says, "My mom never wanted me to learn how to skate. She thought it was not lady-like."

Jamie looks at Max, "Rolling around on a board is not lady-like?"

"That's what my mom thinks," Max says with a smile, "Eventually she got over it, but it left me to wonder, what exactly is lady-like?"

"Cheer," Jamie supplies.

"Exactly," Max says, "And if that is what being a lady is like then I sure as hell don't want it."

"I'll try not to be offended that you're constantly insulting my extracurricular activity," Jamie says as she places her board on the ground.