16: Seeing Red

"We can't stay here!" Alex shouted as they crouched down behind a stall, "Eleven's too weak and i think if i try and use my powers I'll pass out!"

"Hold on, I have an idea," Mike told the gang, grabbing his walkie, "Scoops Troop, do you copy? Scoops troop do you copy? Scoops troop, I repeat, do you copy? We're trapped in the mall and in need of emergency transportation."

Alex toned him out and leant against Max, lifting her bandage slightly and then cringing at the wound. Blood was still seeping out of the wound and it was deep, more so than she originally thought. And it was fucking painful.

She followed Max's glance as she watched Nancy lift a gun off the side. 

"You're gonna kill him aren't you?" Max asks, her voice almost breaking as Nancy checked the bullets.

"This is just a precaution, okay?" Nancy reassures her with a sad smile.

"And not just against Billy," Will adds, "If he knows we're here, so does the mind flayer."

Nancy looked over to the car El threw at the Russians with a hint of an idea. "No chance that'll drive right?"

Johnathan and Atlas jumped up with an idea, "You don't need it to drive," Johnathan says.

"We just need the ignition cable," Atlas finishes.

~~

They were all stood behind the car, trying to push it over but ultimately failing, the car was way too heavy for them to move. Eleven finally spoke up.

"Let me try," she says to them, making Mike attempt to protest, "I can do it."

Everyone nodded and moved out of the way of the car as she attempted to turn it with her mind.

But nothing happened.

~~

An additional five minutes later and Mike had explained something about physics and how a larger surface area pressing against the car would make the car easier to move. Now, everyone was stood, holding a stool from the Pizza place, they managed to get it to turn onto it's side and them completely right side up. Alex didn't offer much, only having one arm able to use but she still had a stool and pushed with one hand, helping a little.

"Told you, physics," Mike says to them smirking, watching as they tossed the stools to the side.

The eldest three rushed around the car, Atlas getting inside so he could pop the hood. Alex stood with Mike and Max, they were looking at El who was staring intently at a can of New Coke.

"Max?" Alex whispered, looking up at the ceiling, Mike and Max shared a look before following the girl's gaze. The glass roof was cracking, The mind flayer had arrived.

"Nancy!" Mike shouts to his sister, but the older girl has no time to react before the ceiling caved in and eventually shattered, glass shards flying in every direction.

Max grabs Alex's hand and pulls her down quickly so they were crouched behind a counter with Mike and El. All four were breathing heavily and in some state of shock.

Alex was breathing quickly, trying to stop herself from having a panic in the mall. She drew her knees to her chest and lead her head on Max's chest, the ginger girl wrapping her arms around her.