BEFORE: Chapter Ten

Cara stood just outside her open apartment door, taking in the place one last time. She did not know if she would be returning anytime soon. Anxiety pooled within her, weighing her down. It was not that she was attached to the place, no, there was no love lost between them. It was more the idea of what was to come that made her anxious.

     Ivor was outside, heading to his parked car a block away. That is where he had been before the beast had attacked, keeping an 'eye' on her apparently, when he had 'heard' the commotion from within. Cara still did not know how he had seen her from that distance, and even more importantly, how he had heard her scream, when it otherwise seemed no one else in her apartment did. When she had questioned him, he had tensed slightly and told her that he would answer the rest of her questions when they got out of her apartment.

     "Pack your bags," Ivor had said.

     "Take only that which is important to you, and nothing more. We have got to be quick, out of here before they catch up."

     'Before they catch up.'

     Cara still did not know who 'they' were, but something told her she would find out pretty soon if she didn't hurry out.

     She turned now, right hand behind her on the doorknob, ready to shut and lock it, unknowing when she would be returning.

     Or if, her inner voice stated. It made her anxiety worsen, hearing that voice. Cara was terrible with change of any kind. She did not like the effects it brought upon her; the quickened heart rate, the sweaty palms, the pounding in her head. It was all too hecticly painful. She preferred consistency, a familiar rhythm, a boat lulled by soft waves. This was more like a boat crashing to pieces by empowered waves.

     No, she would not think like that. If she wanted answers, if she wanted to find her sister and mother, she would have to let go of the past momentarily, convincing herself that she would come back. She promised herself that when she left, locking her apartment door behind her and walking out the front door, she would not look back.

     So that's what she did: locked her apartment door, tightened her hold on the only backpack she was bringing with her, stuffed haphazardly with random clothes, and made her way to the elevator that would bring her down to Ivor, to an unknown future. Cara rested her head against the back wall of the elevator, not noticing the growling of her empty stomach clenching in on itself in hunger. She had been too adrenaline-driven before to notice it, but she was starving, and with the blood loss from her now-bandaged wounds, it would do her no good to remain hungry. She would need to ask Ivor to grab some food before they went anywhere else.

     The elevator doors opened with a ding and Cara stepped out, now standing before the front desk. She walked up to the figure seated behind the desk, and recognized him immediately when he raised his head to smile at her politely.

     "Will."

     "Cara, what can I help you with today?"

     Cara tried to form a smile on her face, but when it shook with anxiety, she dropped it, instead leaning her hand up and towards him.

     "I'm gonna be going on a trip for a few days, I'm not sure how many exactly," she placed her apartment key onto the flat wooden surface of the desk, "but I locked my door and was wondering if I could leave the key with you? I don't want to lose it on my trip, you know?"

     "Yeah of course. Is there anyone you would like for me to allow up there while you're gone?"

     The "no" died on Cara's lips.